Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #31 
ANHEL123

How i understand from reading on this forum and i think i saw it one time on a betta fish transparent is healing. So i guess you doing right thing. Did you put him on salt or you just increase water changes? Hopefully he will recover. And if he is eating and active then it also good sigh. Sorry i didn't read beginning but if it 3 gall you can do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #32 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
How i understand from reading on this forum and i think i saw it one time on a betta fish transparent is healing. So i guess you doing right thing. Did you put him on salt or you just increase water changes? Hopefully he will recover. And if he is eating and active then it also good sigh. Sorry i didn't read beginning but if it 3 gall you can do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week.
It's a 9 gall. :)

I did ONE extra water change but I didn't add salt. He is very active and hungry! He just doesn't stay still! I don't know how I would get a decent pic of him! XD
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #33 
ANHEL123

Then i guess you do right thing just keep doing those extra water changes. Not sure how many you do a week. But you can do as many as you want. I know people who does even 1-50% and 1-100% in 10 gall.
I guess if he is healing you don't need to treat him. Make sure you also vacuum the gravel regularly.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #34 
Catfish Billy

I always vacuum the gravel every water change. :)

It shows how much a decent tank and care can do for a fish! Where I bought Suzuki from he was kept in an unfiltered, unheated, cube container that probably held about 0.75 gallons. :(
Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #35 
ANHEL123

Really i didn't even know there is a places where they sell them in 0.75 gall.
Most or even i would say all the stores have them in the small cups and never change the water. One time i walk in the store and i was shocked. There were in the no see through cups. I complained. Appeared that the usual store fish guy was transferred to another store for 3 month. So i guess new guy took over and din't know what to do.
I just looked where you live. You from England. So in England all stores keep bettas in 0.75 gall? It actually nice. Filters not necessity for bettas. I don't have filter in any of my tanks. I am petrified of them. I read a lot of accidents when fish sucked in side of the tube. But i do change them regularly and never missed it. I do 100% water changes so i guess it a little different from when you cycle the tank.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #36 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Really i didn't even know there is a places where they sell them in 0.75 gall.
Most or even i would say all the stores have them in the small cups and never change the water. One time i walk in the store and i was shocked. There were in the no see through cups. I complained. Appeared that the usual store fish guy was transferred to another store for 3 month. So i guess new guy took over and din't know what to do.
I just looked where you live. You from England. So in England all stores keep bettas in 0.75 gall? It actually nice. Filters not necessity for bettas. I don't have filter in any of my tanks. I am petrified of them. I read a lot of accidents when fish sucked in side of the tube. But i do change them regularly and never missed it. I do 100% water changes so i guess it a little different from when you cycle the tank.
An unfiltered tank is fine as long as you do the water changes (which it sounds like you do!) So where you live they're in even SMALLER cups!? The worst thing about it is they are a FISH store and they keep them in that state.... They all AT LEAST had mild fin rot.....it was not pretty.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #37 
ANHEL123

I would say all stores here keep them in the little containers with a little bit of the water . Some stores change them 2x a week, some stores change when water is dirty. That is why most fish are sick. It sad because when inexperienced person buy betta a lot of them die.
Some stores are really bad you can see a lot of dead bettas, or even dying...pretty sad. I don't go to the pet store unless i am really have to. I also hate to see dogs. Some stores here have dogs from puppy mills. And if no one buy dog and if dog get bigger they just return them back to puppy mills. It just hole situation horrible, but nothing you can do.
I always walk my dog and look at the people windows and i wish everyone would have pet at home including betta of course lol. It sad animal world :(
I am glad your betta doing better.
I have very closed friend who's daughter actually in England right now, coming back soon. I love to travel to Europe. Would like to go to England. May be some days i will. I was in Germany and Czechoslovakia long time ago :)
It just amazing feeling when you go to different countries and see different culture.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #38 
Catfish Billy

I'm quite lucky I don't have a local pet shop that has dying animals near me.... :(

If you come to England I suggest visiting London and/or Cumbria (the lake district). These are my favorite places in England!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #39 
ANHEL123

Thank you i hope i will!!!! Also i was trying to read all pages again to see what other people recommendations for Suzuki. Didn't see any one told you do not use aquarium salt on regular basis.
It not going to prevent from any disease . If you going to use it on regular basis immune system will will get resistant to it and it will not help if you ever need to use it for treatment.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #40 
Catfish Billy

OK thanks! I did already know that though... :)