Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #1 
misty1477

Question Tank rom Outside Looks Dull - Inside Water Clear

I have a 5.5 gallon filtered glass tank. When I look down into the tank, water looks clear/sparkly.....BUT...looking at tank from outside, inside looks kinda 'dull'. I do Siphon Vacuum water changes once a week and wipe out the inside of the empty part with a paper towel. Also, clean outside of tank with glass cleaner. What causes this ??? I like to see my Betta as I look towards his tank from the outside.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
ravenwinds

Do you use an aquarium/algae cleaning sponge to inside of tank? You should at every water cleaning...do it prior to gravel cleaning or siphoning and the algae beginning to grow on inside of your tank will be sucked up with your water!
Feel inside of your tank before using sponge...it will not feel like smooth glass/plastic/acrylic that cleaned side will feel like!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #3 
ravenwinds

I saw a video of famous German aquascaper (those guys who make those awesome tank landscapes with real plants..Google aquascaping and have your breath taken away) who while answering questions on the just set up aquascape began to wipe inside of glass with sponge/cloth. He said, "I clean inside of glass before...I clean it when still clean...every 3 days or so. If you clean before it needs it, it wouldn't look bad." You have to imagine smiles and broken English.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #4 
Meggie6347

I thought the same way about mine, very dull and the plants and wood and sand and betta looked dull...it ended up being my lights...go figure! And now that I have new lights (not just the ones that came with the tank) everything looks so nice and bright!

What lights do you have? Because if you have the same tank I do, (5.5 gallon top fin starter kit?) the lights that come with it are what makes the tank look dull
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #5 
misty1477

I have the same tank as you do. Really like the tank. Wonder what kind of bulb is okay to use with it if I want to change it.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #6 
Meggie6347

I love the light I have (can't even tell you how MUCH of a difference it made...I betcha anything it's the light that's making it dull then)...I would recommend my light to you but it is for plants as mine is a planted tank and is more costly...but if you look and ask around you could probably find a good bright light that's cheaper than a plant light

This is what my tanks look like with better lights...huge difference, huh? (excuse the cloudiness it's just because I took the picture right after a water change)

Last edited by Meggie6347; 07-12-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #7 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie6347 View Post
I love the light I have (can't even tell you how MUCH of a difference it made...I betcha anything it's the light that's making it dull then)...I would recommend my light to you but it is for plants as mine is a planted tank and is more costly...but if you look and ask around you could probably find a good bright light that's cheaper than a plant light

This is what my tanks look like with better lights...huge difference, huh? (excuse the cloudiness it's just because I took the picture right after a water change)
Thanks A Bunch ... I will check around on the forums
Old 07-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #8 
Meggie6347

Sure! Hope you find a nice light keep us posted!