Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #1 
britishbetta

Exclamation Bad timing for fin rot! Advice please!

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley's Betta Food with some bloodworms for treats.
How often do you feed your betta fish? The pellets are huge, so i cut them into halves. I feed him one half in the morning and the other half in the evenings.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 95% (with 5%ish coming from his cup I keep him in when changing)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Recently, I've added AQ Salt and stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: 7.2
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I was gone for a business trip for a week and when I came back, he had red on the edges of his fins and they had become more transparent in one patch. Also, the edges of his fins were a bit raggedy.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No behavioral changes.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He's had this "pink"ish tone to his fins ever since I got him at petco. 2 days after I got him, I noticed his fins were becoming more transparent in one patch on his dorsal fin. I was a little afraid it was fin rot, so I added AQ salt to his water. But then I had to leave for a week. When I returned, his fins were definitely showing mild fin rot. Resuming feeding him and changing his water improved him almost back to normal the next day. I didn't want to stress him too much after he'd been deprived of food for a week, so I didn't change his water every day. It's been 3 days since then, and his fin rot seems to be coming back.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? See above.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? See above.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's old enough to be sold, so probably 6 months plus.

Now, I learned I have to be gone for 3 days again next week. I don't know whether he can stand the stress of having his water changed every day until I leave again, and all of a sudden not be fed for 3 days straight. Does anyone have any experience breaking up an AQ salt treatment over a period of time? Is it better to hold off on the treatment altogether until after I get back?

Forgive the unorthodox method of answering the template, I thought it made more sense to tell it all in one answer.

Thank you all!
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #2 
britishbetta

For that matter, how soon can you restart salt treatment if you were cut short before the max limit of 10 days?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic....

I would go ahead and start the salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and make 50% daily water changes using premixed treatment water.....

While you are gone....leave him in the treatment water just like you normally keep him...

Premixed treatment water-use a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt and tannin source and use this for your daily 50% water changes.

To start the treatment-lower the water level in his tank to a couple of inches and slowly add the premixed treatment water over 30 min or so......Mix up another batch to have ready for tomorrows 50%.....

When you get back make the 50% with the premixed Tx water...

If you added a tannin source the water should look darker every day....If you don't have a source....don't worry about it, however, the tannins can help...

Nutrition is what is really important.....If you have access to mosquito larva-mass feed them until you leave......If not feed good quality varied diet in small frequent meals.....He need more food...better nutrition.....

Good luck and have a safe trip.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 
britishbetta

Thank you so much! I will try to post a pic later. Some more questions:

1) what does fin rot look like when it hits the body? He's had a red spot since I got him - I thought it was just a missing scale that would grow back, but it hasn't. It has gotten smaller though.
2) Do I continue adding Stress Coat to the premixed treatment water?
3) He's been in salted water for 4 days as of July 11. If I start the treatment today, by the time I get back next Wednesday, the 18th, he'll have been in salty water for 11 days. Is that okay?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 
britishbetta

Are there any substitutes for natural tannin sources? The only thing the stores carry around here is Tetra Blackwater extract.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #6 
britishbetta

Here are the pics:

You can see a transparent patch to the back of his dorsal fin here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/betta217.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/betta216.jpg

and here you can see some of that "pink" tone that's been in his fins ever since I got him.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/betta221.jpg

Again, thank you!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I am not seeing fin or body rot in those pics....the discoloration may just be normal pigment.....

Fin rot-the fin tip usually will look tattered, discolored and crusty....

Being in the salt for 11 days should not be an issue...we do like to limit to 10-14 days max....

I think the extract already has sodium chloride in it...not 100% sure-since I have never used it...just what I have heard.....check to make sure before you use it....

Lovely fella by the way.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #8 
britishbetta

Thank you very much, I will keep your advice in mind and continue doing the salt treatment you described until I get back from my trip, after which I will let him have a breather! His name is Shigeru. :)

Tags
fin rot, treatment