Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #51 
Laki

lol, fish is like , "omgwtf.. o.o"
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #52 
Aus

I've been lucky to live a life full of wonderful companion animals (and other critters..) including horses, a sheep, a giant rabbit, several wild rabbits, an angus bull, budgies, a duck, several chickens, geese, a corgi cross, several large dogs, several wonderful cats, stumpy tailed lizards, yabbies, pond critters, stick insects, spiders, praying mantises, hermit crabs, silk worms, spotted frogs, green tree frogs, bettas and.. well, lots of critters.

Growing up on a farm by a major river made -everything- my 'pet' as a kid. I think back to all that wildlife and the farm stock there and feel blessed to have been raised with a reverence for living things. Yes, including the ones we ate.

I've done my best to pass this on to my daughter, who also won't 'auto-kill' bugs in the house (unless they can potentially kill us, which a few can, here in Aus ) and loves animals. But I can't give her the rich environment I had, which has always made me a little sad.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #53 
Laki

That's a wonderful way to raise your kids :)

Also, giant bugs in Australia = eww. I'd love to visit but I could never live there knowing the things that can enter my house through cracks... o.o

what's a yuppie?

Bugs that come in my apartment include earwigs, carpenters and basement spiders. We had a millipede the other night! The cat gets them all except earwigs, bc he was snipped by one. He doesn't eat carpenters, he kills them and plays with their dying corpses so when I sweep the floors there;s a couple upside-down nasty bugs
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #54 
Aus

Quote:
what's a yuppie?
LOL. You mean yabbies? Freshwater crayfish, found everywhere here and often kept as pets (and also eaten, yum). I actually once called the local council, hysterical about the 'snake holes' all over the yard in my new suburban rental property. So the animal guy comes out - and falls about laughing - apparently the house was built above an underwater stream and the yabbies were digging their way up into my yard at night, and leaving large holes all over.

Well, hey - they looked like snake holes to me! (I should've known, though - the ground was way too wet for snakes!)

They come in quite a few colours - greenish, brown and even jet black - the blue ones are popular pets..

Last edited by Aus; 04-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #55 
RayneForhest

I've never heard them called Yabbies... we just call em crawdads. I've never seen a blue one before. I used to catch them all the time when I was little. We had a decently large creek behind our house.
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #56 
Laki

"yuppie" "yabbie"... you know ;)

Also, they're so colorful!! Hilarious about the holes in the ground! Seems intelligent of them to dig underground like that, although freaking scary to see something like that come zombie-like out of the ground!!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #57 
RayneForhest

I always wondered why they seemed to be so far away from water. Thanks for sharing
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #58 
Pogthefish

never heard of em, how big r they?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #59 
MyRainbowBettaFish

*coughs* Am i an animal lover? Have a look at my avi and signature lol
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cats, dogs, fish, horses, pets