Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #11 
Link592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso77 View Post
I hope your poor guy pull through what ever he has.

As for tank size it may be on the smaller side but it's not a cup size at least. If that is all you can get then so be it. My guy is in a half gallon tank and fine. My sister has 2 Betta's in the same tank you have and they both are 3 years old now and doing great.

Thank you, the divider is very thin, they have actually a really good space to swim around, he use to live in a cup he may of gotten fin rot since he was in the pet store for a month in the cup that's what my friend who works there told me. He was also inactive when I first got him.

Or it could of been me not been able to change his water for 2 - 3 weeks since I had no Aqua plus to make the water safe, that could of also been the reason.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #12 
TheCrabbyTabby

2-3 weeks is far too long to go without a water change in a tank so small. You might want go with a better and more concentrated conditioner so it'll last longer and you won't have the same problem you had. I recommend API Tap Water Conditioner or Top Fin Tap Water Dechlorinator.

The betta in question needs a hospital tank, a tank away from the other betta and add a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon to the water. This should help somewhat with the fin rot. If it isn't helping and its getting worse and not better, I would start medicating with Maracyn II or Tetracycline.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #13 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link592 View Post
Again, I told my mom and she'll be upgrading my tank but I am still looking for a tank, the only ones I have found are 5 gallons, 10 gallons they come with a filter & all those supplies besides the 5 gallons it barley comes with anything and the person is asking $60 I also don't want to get a 10 gallon if only one fish is going to be living in that tank.

Will he make it through, and will his fins go back to normal? How can I treat fin rot since the space is so little?

I also have Nutrafin Waste control, Nutrafin Cycle, Nutrafin Aqua plus if those help...
The Cycle isn't much help in your current tank..I've heard it's not bad for helping stabilise (NOT cycle) larger tanks when they're in the cycling process.

Dunno about the waste control.. I'd rather do a water change than add stuff to dirty water and hope, but that's me..

And get the 10 gallon with everything! You can divide it! So your boys can have half each. Plenty of room for both, and you can have them both in one place. :)

There's lots of threads here on how to make a secure divider easily and cheaply that won't come off and cause fin-damaging fights. Divided tanks also look really nice, and each can have its own 'theme'..

I think my favourite one here was actually divided into 3 - two large end sections for the bettas, and a small middle one with the filter in it, so neither betta was getting blown about and if one divider failed, there was always the other.. I'll try to find the thread when I have more time, I think you'd like the set-up.

Your fish ought to be fine, fin rot isn't fatal unless left untreated.

As the other poster mentioned, he -will- need to go into some kind of hospital tank. If you get some rock salt, kosher salt or aquarium salt (they are all the same thing, just do not use table salt!) and medicate 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon for 10 days, fresh water and salt every day, you ought to see an improvement.

Because you only have the one small tank for both fish, I'd just do them both in the same tank. Both have been exposed to lots of ammonia, and I don't trust that bacteria not to spread..

So, cup both your bettas in a lidded cup (like the one you got them in) and toss the water in their main tank out, rinse tank etc in hot water.

Dissolve 1 teaspoon salt in a gallon jug with warm water (same temp as tank water) and refill tank with that.

Make sure to match tank temp with cup water by floating them in the new water for a while, adding a bit of new water to the cup every few mins.

Let fish back into tank. Reapeat every day for 10 days. You should see some improvement.

I'd keep this little tank as a hospital tank, even when you upgrade, they are very useful for short term care.

And frankly? I see a lot of folks defending these tiny bowls and tanks. but then I see a month later, they're the ones posting in the sick fish threads.. wondering why there's fin rot, etc. They can be okay, but there's no room at all for slip ups and lack of water changes, as even a small amount of ammonia can permanently damage a fish's gills, etc.

Last edited by Aus; 07-13-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #14 
TheCrabbyTabby

Just something I thought of just now that I think might make you think about upgrading to much better and much bigger tanks. I don't mean to be blunt, I really don't, but I feel I have to say this. Actually I did in another thread so I will quote myself:

Quote:
Now to be the bad guy here, but keeping a betta in such a tiny tank to rot in its own filth is the equivalent of keeping a chihuahua in a small dog crate with the floor caked heavily in urine and feces for the duration of its life.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #15 
Aus

The OP has already said he will be upgrading....
Old 07-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #16 
TheCrabbyTabby

Ah. Very well then.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #17 
BETTACHKALOVE

Agree with Aus. Just want to add something. You need to separate them as soon as possible so other fish don't get infected.
I don't know but i would change water again for the other fish just in case ,since he was in the same tank with sick one.

And sorry not sure i think Aus wrote already new water should be +-2-4* the same as his. I saw someone wrote that you can let water sit for 12-24 hrs this way the water will the same temperature. Put water conditioner and let water sit , don't cover it.
Also after you separate them you need to do 100% water changes like every 3 days for that tank,not sure if someone already gave you instructions...I think that little tank is about .5 gall.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #18 
Aus

Aha! Here's the info on tank dividers I was after for you, with pictures on how-to and everything:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

So for 5 bucks more, you can have basically 2 x 5 gallon tanks in the same space, one heater, one filter (I really do like the filter in the middle space idea, plus its safer!) .. seems like a good call to me!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #19 
Ant10a

Depending where you live... like where I live a 10 gallon with nothing is over $30 (even at walmart it was 45)

So I went to the craft section and they have glass bowls and stuff and they have like 2.5 gallon bowls for 15-20$
Ant10a is offline   Reply With Quote