Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #11 
Pearl2011

Thank you for taking such good care of him. You probably take better care of Vegas then some people who have had them for years do.
If he is swimming wonky maybe swim bladder disease? I believe feeding peas can help (do some googling as I have no experience with SBD).
If it is in fact dropsy you can tell by looking at him from above. Are his scales sticking out? If yes it is dropsy. Unfortunately there is no cure for dropsy.

It is most likely SBD, but dont just feed him a raw pea as this is not good for them. I think it has to be thawed. I've only fed spinach to my fish as the bag of pea we use as an ice pack at softball games. :) Not becoming my fishes dinner.

I hope all goes well. Your are a very, VERY caring owner. Hate to admit it, but you have gone to greater lengths for one betta forced into your care then I have ever gone to for my fish. Your should be proud of yourself.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #12 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
Wow! you have taken amazing care of your betta I agree it could be dropsy or age. Personally I dont think its swim bladder cause I've heard they just swim sideways or almost upside down. your fish sound more serious than that. By the way I guess I am just a beginner but I've done a lot of research. I really hope your fish gets better and a video of him would be really great.
P.S. This is just my opinion but I dont trust those glass rocks becuase my first betta got his head stuck in between those and died there with his head down and tail up. I was so sad.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #13 
Sakura8

bettasareawesome is right. In rare cases, fish CAN get their heads caught between the pebbles as they search for food. I've used them before without harm but there's always one betta out there who goes food diving where he doesn't fit.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #14 
Pearl2011

That happened to my friends fish. Two guppy's or goldfish (cant remember now, although he did have one cannibal goldfish). His sister was over and she said they got there head stuck. Never getting them now.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #15 
LilMzGypsy

Hello all!

Thank you for your responses. Vegas is still hanging in there. I am in the process of following OFL's directions. He has stopped showing interest in food, which is sad.. I do think he might just be old. :"(

I'll let you know if I need any further guidance. I'm hoping he can pull through and live with us a little bit longer. He's got such an awesome personality and I feel like I haven't gotten the chance to really enjoy being a fish mama yet! Hahaha!
LilMzGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #16 
lelei

Oh, but you are, as a concerned mama, you are doing everything possible to help your lil guy..and you are learning a lot in the process..That is what a mama does..and you are doing great:)God Bless, he is a very lucky lil fish to have a caring mama~
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #17 
LilMzGypsy

Also.. I didn't know that they would get stuck between those glass stones. YIKES! Well, in his 10 gallon tank I have the small rocks.. I just used the glass ones in the hospital tank because they made it easier to clean since I was doing it so often. I will definitely change those though. I don't want to take any chances!

:") Today we are still not interested in eating.. do regular pet stores have different varieties of betta food? I don't know what else to get or where to get it. I had no idea they needed a varied diet to keep them happy. Poor guy must be bored with those pellets.

And also, thank you everyone for telling me what great care I've taken of him. It definitely makes me feel like I've given him the best chance I could. :")
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #18 
Sakura8

A good varied diet for a betta would include some frozen foods and pellets. Most stores like Petsmart and Petco have frozen bloodworms, which are good. Frozen brine shrimp is also good. Even just switching from one pellet brand to another can help. Most pet stores have Hikari betta pellets and either New Life Spectrum betta pellets or Omega One betta pellets.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #19 
LilMzGypsy

I currently have the New Life Spectrum pellets.

Do I need to be aware of anything with the blood worms? How much is a good amount to feed? Maybe I'll pick some up today and see if he will try them. I think it's been 3 days since he's eaten..
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #20 
Sakura8

With frozen bloodworms . . . what I do is take a cube and thaw it in a small container in the fridge. I usually feed 3-5 worms using tweezers. The thawed worms can stay fresh in the fridge for about 2 days.

Tags
advice, help me, loss of color, not swimming, sick betta