Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1 
BubbiBubba

Exclamation Shrimp Problems

Hey Guys!

So, I was thinking.

Ghost Shrimp vs. Amano Shrimp in a cycled 5 gallon tank w/ a betta fish?

All input is appreciated!

P.S.
How would you acclimate a shrimp?!
BubbiBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
MSG

I recommend starting with a ghost shrimp in case your betta decides it's food and not friend.

You would acclimate the shrimp the same as you would a new fish.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #3 
mkayum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I recommend starting with a ghost shrimp in case your betta decides it's food and not friend.

You would acclimate the shrimp the same as you would a new fish.
1+
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #4 
BubbiBubba

MSG & mkayum, oh, thank you so much for replying! So, just float them for 5 minutes, add a little tank water, & repeat once? The drip system seems too complicated, plus it would take too long...

Last edited by BubbiBubba; 07-13-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #5 
laoshun

For shrimp u actually can just put them in if ur water quality is clean. They dont really get shocked the same way fish do, and if they do its not as extreme.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #6 
PaintingPintos

OH MY GOSH GET GHOST SHRIMP THEY ARE THE COOLEST SHRIMP IN THE WORLD!!!
I used to have 3, but I gave one to my close friend, my fish ate the 2nd, and my 3rd is like a ninja, so I rarely see him.
But I keep my moss ball at the front of the tank, and just seeing Ash poke his little bitty claws into the moss to search for food is absolutely amazing.
And when they eat their food (algae discs or betta pellets. Betta pellets work just fine) you can see the food go down their throats, and into their stomachs. It's awesome! And also because they're see-through they look like little robots when they move, you can see all their joints and appendages....I've learned so much about shrimp just from my 3 ghosties.
Also Omelette was tailbiting from boredom, which is why I originally got my ghosties. With all the activity of the shrimp toodling around, Om completely stopped tailbiting.
If you want ghosties you'd better get lots of plants! For my 3 gallon I have one big foxtail plastic plant, and 4 other fake plants, and a Marimo Moss Ball and a tea cup that's Om's "bedroom". Ghost shrimp become food aggressive (only with their own species) and even though it's fun to watch them steal food from each other, it would be just plain mean to force them onto each other's territory all the time. Lots of live or fake plants (it doesn't matter) is the key to happy shrimp :)
Also you'll need an air pump for the shrimp to stay healthy. Not only will it be good for the shrimp, but your betta will love it (I make fine streams of bubbles and my Om loooooves to swim through them. He has a whole routine when he goes about this business). There's nothing special needed to acclimate.
Just do what you do with a fish!
You can safely fit 7 Ghost shrimp in your tank, and that will be lots of activity so your betta definitely won't tailbite from boredom.
It's easy to tell the difference between males and females, too. Females are a lot larger and have a big green spot somewhere in the middle of their body. Males are just clear and you can see a few tiny organs in the fronts of their bodies.
One last thing is that plants definitely are needed as hidey-holes because when shrimp molt, it's stressful and they need to be safe from your fish's prying jaws and other shrimp's picky claws. They like to molt in a secure place so try not to move the molting shrimp around too much while it's molting.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 
BubbiBubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
OH MY GOSH GET GHOST SHRIMP THEY ARE THE COOLEST SHRIMP IN THE WORLD!!!
I used to have 3, but I gave one to my close friend, my fish ate the 2nd, and my 3rd is like a ninja, so I rarely see him.
But I keep my moss ball at the front of the tank, and just seeing Ash poke his little bitty claws into the moss to search for food is absolutely amazing.
And when they eat their food (algae discs or betta pellets. Betta pellets work just fine) you can see the food go down their throats, and into their stomachs. It's awesome! And also because they're see-through they look like little robots when they move, you can see all their joints and appendages....I've learned so much about shrimp just from my 3 ghosties.
Also Omelette was tailbiting from boredom, which is why I originally got my ghosties. With all the activity of the shrimp toodling around, Om completely stopped tailbiting.
If you want ghosties you'd better get lots of plants! For my 3 gallon I have one big foxtail plastic plant, and 4 other fake plants, and a Marimo Moss Ball and a tea cup that's Om's "bedroom". Ghost shrimp become food aggressive (only with their own species) and even though it's fun to watch them steal food from each other, it would be just plain mean to force them onto each other's territory all the time. Lots of live or fake plants (it doesn't matter) is the key to happy shrimp :)
Also you'll need an air pump for the shrimp to stay healthy. Not only will it be good for the shrimp, but your betta will love it (I make fine streams of bubbles and my Om loooooves to swim through them. He has a whole routine when he goes about this business). There's nothing special needed to acclimate.
Just do what you do with a fish!
You can safely fit 7 Ghost shrimp in your tank, and that will be lots of activity so your betta definitely won't tailbite from boredom.
It's easy to tell the difference between males and females, too. Females are a lot larger and have a big green spot somewhere in the middle of their body. Males are just clear and you can see a few tiny organs in the fronts of their bodies.
One last thing is that plants definitely are needed as hidey-holes because when shrimp molt, it's stressful and they need to be safe from your fish's prying jaws and other shrimp's picky claws. They like to molt in a secure place so try not to move the molting shrimp around too much while it's molting.
YOU JUST MADE MY DAY. That was by far the LONGEST informational post anyone has posted on my threads, & it made me so happy! You know why? The MAIN REASON I want Amano/Ghost shrimp (one of the other, whatever Petsmart or Petco sells) is because MY Bubba bites his tail from boredom, too! All alone isn't always the best thing for the poor guy! :/

I shall follow your advice. How did YOU acclimate your shrimp into the tank?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #8 
Silverfang

shrimp are highly sensitive to water params. Acclimate them. Having said that ghosts are 10x hardier than any other species. And so darn fun to watch!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, acclimate, amano shrimp, betta fish, ghost shrimp