Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #21 
Aus

Cheers, deso - yeah I was a bit worried about it.. still am, so I'm watching it. It seems to be growing okay, a little leggy - though it's under the brightest portion of light (my tank is a cheap from-China job, worst design ever, I will actually make a thread about it some time..) and it's an NPT so maybe ferts aren't needed just yet.

I actually want to grow this emmersed around the base of a bamboo pot on my coffee table.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #22 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Cheers, deso - yeah I was a bit worried about it.. still am, so I'm watching it. It seems to be growing okay, a little leggy - though it's under the brightest portion of light (my tank is a cheap from-China job, worst design ever, I will actually make a thread about it some time..) and it's an NPT so maybe ferts aren't needed just yet.

I actually want to grow this emmersed around the base of a bamboo pot on my coffee table.
Oh it would look lovely emmersed around a bamboo pot! And it grows like a weed emmersed, sometimes with beautiful tiny white flowers, so that would be a great idea. HC does tend to get very leggy when under insufficient light, but it sounds like it's doing pretty well so far under your care :) If you do decide to start ferts, Seachem Excel would be the best idea, as it's basically liquid carbon and can replace dosing CO2.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #23 
Catfish Billy

Oops, I haven't been on here for a while! Thanks for the plant info! Keep them coming please! :)
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

I grow HC emersed in a Chinese take-out container (lid on) placed right under my light which is a T5 H/O 50 watt. It's in ADA aquasoil and growing really well from the original straggly bits I picked off my hairgrass roots.

I'm thinking of using it emersed in a riparium style set-up sometime but it is a really neat little plant. Wouldn't want to add it to my aquarium though as it would more than likely just melt and die haha.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #25 
teeneythebetta

I like java fern because it's the one plant I've managed to not kill yet :) It can live in practically any betta tank. Low light, doesn't require fertilizer but I give mine fertilizer and it's growing a lot and making baby java ferns :3
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #26 
Relic

I find it hard to just pick one. I really like Anubias...Mores specifically Anubias nana.
My betta tank currently has Anubias nana,Anubias congensis,Dwarf hair grass,Micro sword,Banana plant,Amazon sword and a Apongeton. All of which require moderate lighting and for the most part fertilization{I just use root tabs} and they do really with the addition of CO2.
Here is a pic of mine...crappy pic but you get the idea.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #27 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I find it hard to just pick one. I really like Anubias...Mores specifically Anubias nana.
My betta tank currently has Anubias nana,Anubias congensis,Dwarf hair grass,Micro sword,Banana plant,Amazon sword and a Apongeton. All of which require moderate lighting and for the most part fertilization{I just use root tabs} and they do really with the addition of CO2.
Here is a pic of mine...crappy pic but you get the idea.
I really love this tank! You did a very good job designing it. :) Mine was so impromptu and happened over time and I wish I'd had the chance to plan it out better.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #28 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
I really love this tank! You did a very good job designing it. :) Mine was so impromptu and happened over time and I wish I'd had the chance to plan it out better.
Thank you! I'm getting ready to do a 50+ gallon planted tank{Haven't decided on the tank yet}...for the past month or two I have researching what I want to do and have come to the conclusion that it's gonna have to be one of those "Do what ya can when money is available" kinda things. It's gonna cost quit a bit..most of the money will be going to the lighting and a CO2 system...hopefully by this time next year it will be completely finished and fish added.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #29 
Relic

Forgot to add....I'll be putting some java moss in that 10gallon tank tomorrow. It'll be my first attempt at any kind of moss...I wanted to get a feel for it so I can do a moss wall when I get my big tank.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #30 
Catfish Billy

@Relic Nice tank! Your aquascaping is a lot better than what I could do....

Hmm....I think I will get some Java Ferns, as not only are they really cheap on eBay, but they're also sound quite easy to grow, which suits me.....XD
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquatic plants, fertilizer