Betta Fish Forum banner

Hello All!!

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  eaturbyfill 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!! I just happened upon this site and after reading through some of the posts decided to join in hopes of learning and sharing info about wonderful bettas.

I currently have 100+ mature bettas from wilds to veil tail splendens. I also currently have 4 "tubs" of fry!! :)

My favorite types (at the moment) are plakats and crown tail splendens. I love to cross breed to see what I come up with. There are no 2 bettas exactly alike!

I often find myself having to "devise" my own tools and methods of caring and raising bettas. I never seem to always have that right tool for the job... so I make one out of what I have.

My philosophy is simple... no one knows everything... learning is a continuous process. And there is no single right way to do things.

Hope to catch you all in the posts!! :cheers:

#6 ·
Oh... mine are kept separate. I have some very aggressive "fighters" to very docile "peaceful" bettas. So, multiple bettas in a single tank just doesn't fit for me. And I also have many cichlids. I'm wall to wall in fish!!

I have kept females together before in 10 gallon tanks. But, you have to be really careful about putting them together as well. I had one female totally wipe out 4 other females very unexpectedly. And they were all smaller females, not really full grown. It was a nice planted tank. So I've nixed that idea all together.

In my opinion, you should not put most of your common variety males together period. There are some "peaceful" varieties that will probably do well in a situation like that. Just remember though... each male will need plenty of space for his territory.

I have 150 gallon, 2 55 gallon and 2 10 gallon tanks for cichlids. The 55 gallon tanks are not so difficult to maintain... but the 150 is much harder. It is impossible to catch any fish in that tank without lowering the water level to around 1/2. And bettas, being so much smaller, would be impossible if you did have to remove one or two for whatever reason.

I personally would never do that... use such a large tank for multiple bettas. Just my opinion from having cichlids in large tanks. I mean, cichlids can be and often are very aggressive as well, especially when breeding. Can't imagine how bettas would be.

Take care!!

#8 ·
thanx for the info ill have a gd think about this and the problem's it may cause housing so many female's in 1 large tank i was hoping with a larger are for each fish they would calm down alittle more (could divides along the tank be an interesting way to go still mantling the look of a large habitat and allowing smaller numbers of say 6 female's per section )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.