Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 
BettaPrinceJohnson

New pet fish not eating

We have a new crowntail we got from a petstore one week ago. He is in a 1 gal tank with a light and a filter (though we took the filter out a couple days ago to see if he prefered it). We don't have a heater in there, the room temp has been low- to mid-70s since we got him.

We have been trying to feed him pellets. He definitely sees the pellets, and twice has taken a nip of one. But he has yet to eat one and mostly he just ignores them. We haven't had a betta before, but he doesn't seem lethargic or sick - he moves around the tank and responds to noises, light and (unintentional) bumping.

Is he just not hungry yet? Is he a food-snob and is waiting for us to feed him something other than pellets?

Should I be patient? Or worried?
BettaPrinceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #2 
thelaserluke

Well Since he is new, he could be still be in shock from moving tanks. They could also be to big for him to eat, you could try crushing them like I am to feed Timothy. Im sure there will be more people coming to post on this thread who are way more experienced than I am. Ha but you could try crushing them.
thelaserluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #3 
Calypso77

Well closer to 80 is a better temp for Betta's. Dd you ask the store wat they were feeding him? They may have been feeding him flakes. He could I guess still be trying to get use to his new home too. Is he looking thin?
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #4 
BettaPrinceJohnson

Those are great questions/suggestions - thank you. We're still considering what to do about the tank temp. Might end up with a larger tank and a heater.

We will definitely try crushing the pellets - too-large might explain why he takes a nip and nothing else. Thank you!
BettaPrinceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #5 
Calypso77

You could use a heater 25w in a gallon tank. How often are you cleaning his tank? And that size of tank I don't think a filter is really needed.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would call the store where you got him and see what they feed the Bettas and also crash the pellets or get smaller ones since they might be to big for him. Keep offering them to him morning and evening and take the pellet out if he doesnt eat it. Good luck !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding