Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #1 
Creat

Rant: Breeding betta going to the dogs

Disclosure: This rant isnt directed at anyone or group in particular. I dont want yelling or hate but its just something I have noticed.

Breeding betta used to be more of a free for all and if your heart was in the right place you were fine. But recently I have noticed that all over the web not just here people are saying that if you dont have a perfect pair you shouldnt even bother and if you do your a bad person. I want to point out that most good breeders started out with some not so good fish. I know that I personally bred a vt to a hm lol but would I do it again yes. I think long time breeders can be rude to first time breeders and can make them feel like what they want to do is wrong. I understand not wanting to flood the market wit second rate fish and that its hard to find good homes etc. But we could never have gotten that far without second rate fish. Just because someone wants to or cant afford perfect fish to breed dosent mean that they shouldnt. It is rather disheartening to see those types of comments on here or anywhere for that matter. I think if someone is willing to work hard and will keep the babies or find good homes I think they should. Its the same thing that happened in the dog world. Dog showing has become so elite and secluded that if you dont have perfect lines or a perfect dog you shouldnt even bother. What happened to the fun and the thrill of it? Why shouldnt everyone get to experience something like that? I guess I am confused as to why people say no when someone else's fish arent "perfect". I guess I am trying to say we should encourage doing something you love then discouraging it. Thats how most strains ended up was believing dedication and not following strict guidlines of the idea of perfect.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
people are saying that if you dont have a perfect pair you shouldnt even bother and if you do your a bad person. I want to point out that most good breeders started out with some not so good fish.
THANK YOU. YOU ARE MY HERO.

Quote:
I am confused as to why people say no when someone else's fish arent "perfect".
Perfect does not exist. So when someone says MY fish are not perfect, I can easily turn it back on them. TEHY aren't perfect, their fish aren't, I'm not, my fish aren't. WHat a coincidence

What DID happen to the thrill of it? Whatever happened to ENCOURAGEMENT? I understand people don't want a deformed bettas crossed with a tumor betta... Common sense.

My first bred was a PK and a VT. Now I have a CT, bred to a VT and resulted in a spikey little guy! Now my next pair is a CTxCT. Are they some AB specially bred perfect fish? Nahh

But they are MY fish, my pride, my joy, my love and hobby. I think people should say "well this is what the spawn will be like...Here's some tips..." but none of the "don't breed ever" or "bring your fish back to the store" kind of attitudes. I know it is not on here, but anywhere...

But really, if you're willing to realize your consequences in having maybe 80 offspring, and willing to commit to said consequences, why not do it? Why not learn? Why not be able to teach others?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #3 
Creat

Lol glad Im your hero :) I just got so fed up with negative undertones. I agree with everything you said and p.s. i LOVE your babies.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 
bettaboytroy

Agreed Creat. I am new to breeding and my main goal is just to get some offspring. I'm not breeding to sell my babies for $25.00 a pop. I'm doing it for the challenge and joy of it and give away the babies or charge just a buck or two to a lfs. My first and only success was a Halfmoon male with a Crowntail female. Major no no from what I understand. The babies were beautiful and I learned so much. As far as dogs are concerned it seems like the "mutts" are some of the best dogs around. I don't think hard core breeders need to worry too much about getting poor fish introduced into the market. Serious breeders know what there looking for and usually know as much as possible about the lineage of their fish. When it comes down to it most people don't breed their betta's and the average person on the street has 1 or 2 bettas that live for a year or two.

I love the information on this site but sometimes am a little disheartened when a newbie comes on and is soo excited about his/her new fish, says they have it in 1/2 gallon bowl and is chastised for not properly taking care of the fish. I think a lot of those who say you can never properly take good care of a fish for cheap have never tried. If you have the money to spoil your fish great but don't discourage someone else or think they're doing something wrong for wanting to have a betta. It's one thing to say "Hey, I tried such and such and it didn't work for me." and another thing telling them they need to run out and blow $75.00 or their fish will surely die.I am not pointing fingers at any specific person and the comment about the $75.00 is just a made up scenario but I get an uneasy feeling about discouraging breeding and not having fish in bowls/vases. As I write this I have 11 happy/healthy fish surrounding me in 1 gallon or less containers. Honestly I was a little intimidated to even let people know about my experience for fear of being berated and I'm 39 years old. how many people are out there reading this site but afraid to join in?

When all is said and done we are human, they are fish. We are masters over them and they were put here for our enjoyment and to glorify God. With that said we should be the best stewards that we can be and should provide them the things they need to the best of our ability. When a newbie posts on the site our main concern should be 1st for the person posting, THAN the fish.

Kudos to those who breed for the best line and to those who just want to experience a wonder of nature. Personally I've never had anyone be disrespectful to me on this site. Replies to my posts have always been positive. I think in almost all cases people are trying to help the new guy. Thanks everyone for the help you've given me and sharing my interests.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Thanks Did you see my new girl?! My adorable, pet store betta xD Big Al's store, to be exact. Some Edmonton goers recommended that store

Oh, how about age? Age and breeding. "You're too young to breed." :/ I've heard some people be told that... It's kinda sad. Considering most of our brilliant breeders are young

Edit: Bettaboytroy, good to hear you've been helped out a lot! I like this site for that.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 
bettaboytroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Thanks Did you see my new girl?! My adorable, pet store betta xD Big Al's store, to be exact. Some Edmonton goers recommended that store

Oh, how about age? Age and breeding. "You're too young to breed." :/ I've heard some people be told that... It's kinda sad. Considering most of our brilliant breeders are young

Edit: Bettaboytroy, good to hear you've been helped out a lot! I like this site for that.
Awesome fish you have there!

Hmmm...? Maybe that's why I'm having trouble getting my fish to produce fry... I'm Too Old! LOL
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

NAHHHH lol. I know both old and young who can do it haha.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #8 
Aus

Okay, I'm the partypooper here, I guess.

Re the breeding.. I think it's fair enough that people who are concerned with fish welfare might step in to suggest it's not okay to plop a male and female together in a tank and wait for the babies. I really do. Especially when they have NO idea how to care for fry, no plan for growout and no clue how to rehome 100 baby fish other than sending them to pet store cups (where they'll have such a great time..).

I also think that it's not okay to keep a fish in under a gallon of water. Even less so if they're in the hands of inexperienced fishkeepers, who then all end up posting on the sick fish threads 'omg, he's gone fuzzy/has fin rot/is lethargic!"

Quote:
I think a lot of those who say you can never properly take good care of a fish for cheap have never tried. If you have the money to spoil your fish great but don't discourage someone else or think they're doing something wrong for wanting to have a betta.
I'm a single mum to a teenager, have a mobility impairment, and am on a pension. I have ZERO spare money most of the time. I go without stuff to keep my fish. Sorry, but it's kind of rude to assume that everyone concerned with betta welfare is throwing money around left and right.

ETA: of course, doing it cheap is really possible. I know, because sometimes I have to! But that doesn't mean I keep mine in .5 of a gallon..

I discourage new-to-betta people from breeding/keeping fish in dinky little tanks because I see the fish suffering from it so often. Sorry if it doesn't float your boat. I just feel bad for the fish.

Last edited by Aus; 07-14-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Most people start out with wrong information but do pretty good with what they have.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #10 
Creat

Sena: Love your girl she is adorable very patriotic for America lol to bad your canadian :P

bettaboy: Glad you have had good luck and fish dont know your age so its not like it matters :)

Aus: Agreed people should research before even getting a betta let alone breeding. And their are cheap ways to give fish great care (walmart is so my shopping center for diy fish supplies). And I also agree that people who cant care for their pets shouldnt ever consider creating more. But what I am trying to say is I see a lot of you should breed such and such pair cause their ugly or wouldnt have good form or color etc. and I think that is wrong.