Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #1 
prodrumernate

peeling skin?not sure

its not on my betta.its on a rosy red minnow...aka fathead minnow....they r being used to cycle my tank.so i can put my betta in with them..so far its been good.been a little over a week.had a couple deaths but because of stress.the skin seems to be peeling off almost molting.no cuts or anything.the tanks is safe for bettas so i know its not a cut..

i put it in a quarantine container for now.i noticed it earlier today but wanted to see if anything changed after a water change.just gotten worse a little...

ammonia-.50ppm
nitrite-o
nitrate-0
ph-7.6

1 week into new cycle.a quiteflow filter 10 rated for up to 20 gallons.using in my 10 gallon...plus a moving filter i made then placed in there 3 days ago.

the fish swims around but will hoover in place for a short period.then move again.4 other fish are perfectly fine.i also have live plants in there.been in there for about 5 days.i alerady forgot what they are called.red and green leaves.leaves on opposite side of each other.

i have recently cleaned the tank out using heat,hot water,bleach..constantly rinsing for about 30 minutes and air drying then repeat rinsing.baked the rocks twice.soaked everything for 2 days.some in heat.clean and wiped off everything with rubbing alcohol as well.the temp is at around 78 degrees.

water gets cloudy after doing major water changes to lower the ammonia down to .25.....i know its normal..any other info needed plz ask
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Go ahead and do a water change to bring the levels down to .25. It's just that one rosy red minnow who has the problems? None of the others? If so, then I would keep that one out and in its quarantine because there's a possibility it has something else going on with it besides stress from the cycling process.

Peeling skin sounds like excess slime coat production, which can happen with ammonia poisoning but can also happen with bacterial infections and external parasite infestations. Since none of the other rosy reds are reacting the same way, I'm going to rule out ammonia poisoning.

If the rosy doesn't get better after being out of the cycling tank, then try a 24 hour salt bath at a dosage of 1 tsp per gallon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #3 
prodrumernate

yes its just that one..i had 4 rosy die but because of ammonia poisoning.even had it confirmed at a LPS..i didnt reallize that much could kill them.i thought they were a lot hardier than that.but i had a spike the other day and its been at .50 past couple days.the others have red gills and parts of their body is red..gasping a little..

i didnt think it was anything too serious to worry about but want to make sure.i do want to keep them.even though they are "feeder" fish and being used to cycle.i didnt think of a slime coat problem but makes sense.

its swimming around happily in the quarantine tank.like its healthy now its out of my 10 gallon the past few hours.in the morning ill check on it.and follow as u instructed which make sense and ive always used salt to medicate which always had good results...thank you for the reply.. :)
Old 07-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #4 
Sakura8

You might want to get a 20gal for them if you can. I had just one rosy red that was given to me accidentally and it grew into a 4 inch hyperactive monster who headbutted larger fish. Eventually, it headbutted my electric catfish and that was the end of it. :(

The rosy reds might be a bit unhealthy to begin with, just because feeder fish are never kept in the best of conditions. You could try aerating the tank with an airstone. That might help them breathe a little better.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #5 
prodrumernate

yes i had read up on rosy reds that they arent well maintained because they are feeders.but i like them.they are swimming like crazy in my tank..i had done some research for a few weeks before deciding to get them.

i actually have a 17 gallon i will setup once i move..im just waiting for the manager at my apartments to confirm it.once im back working i want to get a bigger tank as well.i have them in the 10 gallon to cycle.they are compatible in there in a 10 gallon.though they do get up to 4 inches...

i have an air line in the tank connected to my moving filter using a water bottle and some straws..but i might hook up my dual air pump and have half on an air stone again and the other on my filter
Old 07-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #6 
Sakura8

The one I had was the brown morph, the definite fathead minnow. Maybe rosy red morphs are a little more docile? They are pretty fish and they add lots of action to a tank. Mine might have been more aggressive because he was the only one, too, being an accidental freebie.

Good luck with the cycling. :)
Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #7 
prodrumernate

mines a mixture of fatheads and rosy reds..but its recommend to be a group of atleast 5..thats y i have 5 and keep 5 together.they are as happy as can me swimming around exploring.id think thats y just 1 was hostile..kinda a loner and bullied because it didnt have more of its kind to play with..

thank you :)