Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #1 
CarmenSD

Arrow Filter Help Pwease :}

HI! I just bought my betta a 10 gallon tank and I'm trying to find a gentle enough, but QUIET, filter (the tank is going 3ft from my bed). I want to get him maybe 2-3 roommates (betta friendly of course) so I want to make sure the filter actually works well but isn't too harsh of a flow for mr. betta, and isn't too loud for me. The petstore guy recommended a Tetra Whisper In-Tank Filter 3i so the flow wouldn't be too strong but it's only for up to a 3gal tank so I'm skeptical. Any recommendations are super greatly appreciated! I wanna make sure my 'lil dude has the best set-up possible :) Thanks You Guys!!!!!! <3
CarmenSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #2 
Aahnay

Well, you could make your own Moving Bed Filter , and turn the air down. But I dont know how loud those bubbles will sound to you. I love the tank sounds, I find them so relaxing.

But if you arent used to it, they can annoy you , lol. I have heard that the whispers are very quiet.

I purchased my media from the guy above. The one he shows in that vid is his 3rd and final design. I havent put mine together yet, probably will tomorrow night. I will try a dasani brand small water bottle, and put the cap up, instead of down, to help the air travel out, and perhaps tilt it a bit too.

I think with this type of filter you can turn it down and the media will still tumble about. If you order from him you get some bacteria balls too, to put inside with the beads.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #3 
Meggie6347

The best filter I have ever used for my bettas is an internal...it actually runs on an air pump...I think it's called something like the tetra whisper internal? I ave it on my 5.5 gallons..even though it's for up to 3 gallons...I think there's one for more than 3 gallons though...the one I got was something like 10 bucks and works just fine
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The ones with the air pumps are called "sponge" filters. The Tetra 3i is one of those. (For reasons beyond the scope of this post, I consider it a poor choice.) Sponge filters can be good efficient filters, but the air pump is noisy---even the Tetra Whisper (hah!)---and so are the bubbles that it makes.

There is the kind that Hang Over the Back of the tank. These are HOB or power filters. They're quieter but the waterfall noise can be distracting. This can be baffled with filter foam.

I'm a nut about quiet. I use an internal filter that is completely submerged in the tank: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Elite-Underwater-Filter-Listed/dp/B0009YD7D4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342339746&sr=8-1&keywords=internal+filter+hagen"]Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter, UL Listed: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies[/ame].

Fluval makes a similar one:[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A455-Fluval-Aquarium-Filter/dp/B004BZKDZC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1342339746&sr=8-6&keywords=internal+filter+hagen"]Fluval Nano Aquarium Filter: Amazon.com: Pet Supplies[/ame]

and so does Tom's:[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Internal-Filter-45gph-adjustable/dp/B00176GKM8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1342339746&sr=8-5&keywords=internal+filter+hagen"]Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Pet Supplies[/ame]

The last two feature a "spraybar" which spreads out the outflow to make it gentler, and it can be directed....say, up against the back wall, if you want.

All of these are suitable for 10 gal Betta tanks, which all too often are overfiltered, much to the distress of the fish.

Their only shortcoming is less filter foam capacity for the nitrifying bacteria to occupy. This is easily rectified with added foam available at your LFS.

Last edited by Hallyx; 07-15-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #5 
Aahnay

Yes, i like the little elite, it looks perfect.. hmm I wonder if it would also hold enough medium to act as a moving bed filter too. I think you get more area mass for the bacteria from the plastic pellet dohickies. Very nice.. you could still use the sponge to clear the big particulates too.

Does the air flow, down into the chamber with the sponge, then out the other side, above? And the water is then drawn up through the bottom?.

Here is another one Cascade

Last edited by Aahnay; 07-15-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #6 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie6347 View Post
The best filter I have ever used for my bettas is an internal...it actually runs on an air pump...I think it's called something like the tetra whisper internal? I ave it on my 5.5 gallons..even though it's for up to 3 gallons...I think there's one for more than 3 gallons though...the one I got was something like 10 bucks and works just fine
I have one of those and its huge. Yes, its called internal whisper power, for 2-10 gal.

Oh, sorry , you have that tiny one, thats the one i used in my cats water, lol.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahnay View Post
Yes, i like the little elite, it looks perfect.. hmm I wonder if it would also hold enough medium to act as a moving bed filter too.
As an engineer, I like the concept of the fluidized bed/pebble bed/moving bed filter. But, imo, it's much too ambitious a design for a simple Betta tank. More appropriate for a hi-tech, 55gal+ community tank.

Quote:
Does the air flow, down into the chamber with the sponge, then out the other side, above? And the water is then drawn up through the bottom?
It is a true internal, not a sponge filter derivative. The water is drawn up from the bottom by a motor-driven impeller through an entirely too small piece of foam. I use extra foam in front of the intake and attached to the outlet for bacteria housing.

The Elite's filter chamber is probably too small unless they are extremely small pebbles. However it is adjustable, and its manner of adjustment would work well with pebbles, as the impeller is protected. Come to think of it, some of those are called sand-bed filters, aren't they?

Air is sucked through that white (adjustable) flex-tube into the outlet tube by Venturi effect. I like this as it provides oxygen to the bacteria while cycling, and every so often to give them some aeration, without rippling the surface which outgasses CO2

Quote:
I think you get more area mass for the bacteria from the plastic pellet dohickies. Very nice.. you could still use the sponge to clear the big particulates too.
I'd have to do the math, but I think that more smaller particles gives you more gross area. Filter foam is best for bacteria area but needs to be kept from clogging. Basement Bettas uses stainless-steel scrubber material as part of his hi-tech breeder filtration. That intuitively sounds to me like a good compromise between area and free-flow.

Lots of foam is still the best way to maintain a stable cycle. Just swish/rinse it occasionally.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #8 
Aahnay

yes, sand bed filters too, although they are a bit different, more like a sponge. You can hook up the moving bed to the sand filter system too. They have been using the moving bed tech for years to clean water, er .. and I think its just moving into the aquarium market.

Those plastic/ceramic medium are designed to have several times more bacteria area than just foam or even batting.

Yeah, i understand that its overkill in a tiny tank, But its fun to watch! With the ceramic, you dont want it to bang each other as much as in the plastic variety.

Ill hunt out my urls regarding the area mass they provide. It was so interesting, i was all over the web researching. There are some good vids showing some huge filters. Was fun.

I like watching popcorn pop too! hahahaha
Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #9 
Aahnay

Oh, i cant post the links because they are to other forums. I found a good description of the sand filter, it is the fluid filter.

I can quote.
Quote:
Though, the media may not require any special care as is true with “bio-balls” or ceramic media or my all-time favorite material, stainless steel dishwashing scrubs, the mechanical filtration in front still does.
and
Quote:
The fluidized filter bed in this case is “fluidized” by highly oxygenated water carrying the pollutants.

The wet/dry system that Tom Barr references is simply a “fluidized” bed where the bed isn’t, well fluidized, but fixed, a “fixed bed filter.” In the wet/dry system (fixed bed filter), the fluid is water carrying the pollutants and oxygenated by breaking over and becoming thin film over the fixed bed.

Turning a canister into a fluidized bed filter would require some method of oxygenating the polluted water. The easiest method would be dumping the water into a sump through a screen (mechanical filtration) then feeding the water from the sump into the bottom of the filter and forced up through whatever media you choose (generally it will be “pelletized”) and back into the tank.
The canister design might not give optimum flow.

If a filter is so nasty it requires more than rinsing half or a quarter of your media once every two to four weeks, then there is not sufficient biological filtration, mechanical filtration ahead of your canister, good tank management or some combination thereof.
Biollonte @ barrreport.com

Here is[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFQBMDQIdwQ&feature=player_embedded"] more[/ame] from a media manufacturer. Skip to 2.41
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

I have 2 aqueon quietflow 10 filters. Both of them are pretty quiet but you may have to baffle the outflow. I stuck filter foam for Aquaclear filters in mine.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote