Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 
we3shipps

new snail=bad idea?

We just got a snail friend for our Betta, Ariel and it's making Ariel's tank really hazy.. i thought they cleaned it?
(Back story.. Ariel was in a one gallon when we 1st brought her home and petsmart put the entire thing together. It stayed clean quite a while. Then we got her a bigger home a few days later.)
It hasn't even been a week and the 1.5 gallon tank is hazy due to uneaten food, so we thought to get a snail friend. I think I'm gonna just completely clean the tank and all the fun stuff and see if things improve.. i just want nice, clean, pretty water to match my pretty fish.
we3shipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #2 
Aus

Quote:
It hasn't even been a week and the 1.5 gallon tank is hazy due to uneaten food, so we thought to get a snail friend.
^ Snails produce BULK ammonia (pee and poo). More than the fish, probably. So add that to overfeeding and not changing water often enough in a small tank, and -- you're going to have a very sick fish, sooner or later.

I'd rehome/return the snail and simply stop feeding too much and change your water 1x 50% per week, PLUS 1 x 100% per week. Like, Wednesdays and Sundays. Bettas do not need friends, but they do need very clean water.

Quote:
I think I'm gonna just completely clean the tank and all the fun stuff and see if things improve..
Good idea.

Have a think about switching him to good quality pellets. Much easier not to overfeed/end uo with food waste. Plus the good brands will make his colours pop.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #3 
we3shipps

The brand of food i have is Aqueon Betta Food. Recommended by Petsmart where we got our betta. What is a good brand of food?
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #4 
we3shipps

So just did a complete water change and cleaned everything also put the snail in the betta's original home that we took him home in. As soon as we put Ariel back into his home, he started searching everywhere to make sure the snail was gone. He is SO much happier now. He even did a silly little tail wiggle dance for us as if to say, "I don't have to sh-are, i don't have to sh-are, oh yeah, i don't have to share". The snail is still hiding.. i don't blame him he has been picked on and bit since yesterday.
The snail was such a bad idea..
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 
Aus

It's okay. We all make mistakes. I know I've made a few doozies..

Glad your boy is feeling good.

But what will you do with the snail? You could always get a nice 1 gallon jar or bowl and put some sand in and plant it.. some java fern, moss, a nice cryptocorene.. and have a cute little snaily bowl. Aokashi has made some very nice ones, as has Mo. Or you could google 'shrimp bowls' for ideas..
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #6 
we3shipps

The snail is in his own 3/4 gallon "fish" bowl. I don't really know what we're gonna do with it yet. We got him to help clean Ariel's tank but he made it 4x worse overnight. My husband wants to take it back to petsmart and see if they'll take him back. I don't really want to keep him... and have to worry about keeping his water clean. I'd have to do complete water changes every other day.. but there's no way i could "put him in the river" <- that was what my husband wanted to do. We live in wisconsin, the rivers are super cold. The poor thing would die.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #7 
Aus

Eep. Yes, returning him seems like a better option.

Poor old poopy snail.