Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Dividing a 3 gallon

So, let me get a little disclaimer out here before I say anything:

I have not done this. Have I considered it? Yes. Do I think it would be cool to have a divided tank? Yes. However, I won't if it isn't good for the fish.

So, now my question. Could I divide a 3 gallon? Obviously that would be 1.5 gallons a piece. I've heard people keeping a betta in a gallon bowl w/ a heater and they seem fine. I'd love to have another betta, but I don't have the space to put another tank. Would dividing a 3 gallon make me a bad betta owner? Would it be unfair to Dumbledore who is living in the 3 gallon all to himself then make him only have half? I realize I'd have to do a lot more water changes but if it meant getting another fish, I'm all for it.

Like I said, I won't do it if it isn't good for the fish. I love Dumbledore and I don't want to hurt him by dividing his tank. Thanks :)

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I'm sorry but you can't... The minimum for dividing is 5 gallons... :( The ammonia is going to build up too quickly. D:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #3 
noellezim

well, you could, it would make it small space for them when they are used to larger space. But Betta's are rezlient and can live in those tiny wall bowls and tiny square petsmart box. if you look at breeding betta farms thet live in a cup of water. basiclly what they don't know isn't gonna kill them. ammonia ugh good argument but can be managed. I agree with LebronTheBetta 5 gallon min. just get another tank. don't down size hun. ive done it and they become (sounds dumb) depressed. follow your instincts you know your fish :)
noellezim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #4 
Enkil

I wouldn't do it. Not very healthy that way. Personally, the smallest tank that I am willing to divide is a 10 gal. My 5 gal is left alone for a single male.
Dividing the 3 gallon may very well stress out your current boy. He is used to having the space to himself.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #5 
lvandert

You''d have to do water changes at least twice a week maybe every other day even. one 50% and one 100%. It's do-able but it will require a lot o work
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote