Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #1 
TheCrabbyTabby

Ants!!!! D:<

Uggg...

There are these little brown-black ants that are all over the kitchen counters. They are particularly prevalent around the sink. I sprayed a cleaner all over the counters and wiped thoroughly to remove their little pheromone trails. That's what they use to lead others from their colony to a food source. These trails are invisible to the human eye, but I think a good spray cleaner removes them.

Thankfully they aren't fire ants. I'd have to take more drastic measures if that were the case. I actually think they are sugar ants. I found them all over a glass with a bit of orange juice dried on the bottom, so sugar ants they must be. I left out three ant traps in various locations on the counters. I honestly want to put out more but I think that might be overkill.

I am going to be very careful about food that I leave on the counters, or rather not leave out any food. Maybe I should move the tomatoes from the window sill above the kitchen sink. Don't know where else to put them. Maybe the fridge?

Anyways, this is not the first battle in the war against the ants. I've been battling them for several years now. They always appear each summer. Some summers are worse than others but they always are there. The exterminator has been out here one summer and told me to keep the counters clean and food free, wipe the them frequently to get rid of pheromone trials and make sure the food in the pantry is in airtight containers.

I am tired of this battle.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 
Calypso77

I wouldn't put Tomatoes in the fridge, it really ruins their flavors. Ants suck you need to find where they are coming in to really solve the problem.

One year I was getting them we found they were coming from behind our dishwasher, sealed the area and they stopped, this year they came back and it ended up being our back door they had a little flap on the bottom of the door they were coming in from. Fixed that and no more ants. Thank god.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You're not alone. I've been killing small black ants since January and they're still all over the house. I can understand them in the trash.... but everywhere else ???? They nest in the ceiling somewhere and I can't get to them. My family ridicules me for being so irritated.

I love it when the colony moves - I could go; " revenge!!! revenge !!!" LOL
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #4 
Catfish Billy

Ugh, same here....they're even on the dining table! They are everywhere!
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

Yeah, I have a sneaky suspicion they are coming from behind the dishwasher. They seem to come from the cabinets under the sink, which is next to the dishwasher. Stupid ants.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

I use spectacide "Bug Stop" I get at Walmart.I would prefer not to use chemicals, and of course you need to use caution in food prep areas, but this stuff works. If you use it along crevices and under the sink it will keep them out for over 6 months, and is safe when dry. When we lived in our log cabin this stuff was a lifesaver at keeping bugs out, even if I just sprayed around doors etc. I also try and locate where they are coming in and spread diatomaceous earth around the foundation of my house, on ant mounds, and under sinks etc.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #7 
lvandert

get Tarro ant killer. It's poison to ants but it takes about 6-12 hours to kick in. Find a corner, that no animal or little kid can get to, or counter and put a dab on a piece of cardboard in their path. They go to it instantly and think its food. They fill up and take it to the hive. Once there they distribute to everyone and within a few hours the poison starts to take affect. Within a day or two everyone's had some and everyone is dead in the hive. I've found its the best way to take them out

Edit: Spelling on that might be off, Terro? maybe...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 
TheCrabbyTabby

Is it a brownish black liquid? I think my grandmother used some of it when I was visiting her. She dabbed a little of some brownsih black liquid onto a small piece of paper towel and left it in an out of the way place on the kitchen counter.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #9 
lvandert

it might have been. Now a days its clear. Like Syrup
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote