Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #1 
BettaStu

Can anyone diagnose my betta?

My blue betta has had a top fin problem for ages. I have tried for at least a year to heal it. Betta fix, Maracyn, water conditioners/PH adjusters, H2O heater (78 degrees) & even a dash of aquarium salt. Nothing that I was recommended has made a difference. Now he has developed a black spot in addition to the white discoloration on his top fin that has migrated to his back. The black spot seems to have become cyst-like. This morning he got spooked and in an agressive moment of swimming, he seemed to have ruptured it.

What is this?
And is there anything else that I can try to heal it???

(Sorry but no matter what I do, I can't get the image to imbed in this post. Cut & paste the link to see the pic.)
BettaStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #2 
aerynkelly

possibly a severe case of fin/tail rot? There's information about it here: http://www.healthybetta.com/articles...is/finrot.html

My other thought would be tumor, but I donno that you could do anything for that...

Sorry, I hope your betta gets better!
aerynkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #3 
okiemavis

Oh dear, that looks quite uncomfortable. My first thought is water quality problems. Could you read the link below and provide us with the info so we can help you some more?

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=882
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #4 
BettaStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
Oh dear, that looks quite uncomfortable. My first thought is water quality problems. Could you... provide us with the info so we can help you some more?
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
2.5 gallons I think (12" x 6" x 9")

2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water?
Fresh. (Flitered tap with conditioner & Ph adjuster.)

3. How long the aquarium has been set up?
Several months now (He was in a smaller unheated goldfish bowl).

4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium?
Just my Betta Stu.

5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
Yes. Two recommended by PetSmart as good for Bettas (whatever that means).

6. What temperature is the tank water currently?
The green light on the heater means it is at the preset of 78 (+/- 2) degrees.

7. What make/model filter are you using?
None currently. (Should I get something like the Penquin Mini?)

8. Are you using a CO2 unit?
No

9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Yes, filtered ambient light (south facing room).

10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
A few days ago. Maybe half.

11. How often do you perform water changes?
2 times a month. The water seems to evaporate rather quickly after adding the heater, so I often add a half tank volume once a week.

12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
Daily 3 days a week then not for 2-3 days (I travel for a living). If I am gone more than 2 days, I have a neighbor drop Stu some Betta Gold kibble. I also have freeze dried bloodworms.

13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on?
None.

14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time?
Poor fin condition, cystic spot.

15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
I have a general Ph Test & Adjuster kit. Our tap water is at the top of the scale (at least 7.8) but I try to get it closer to 7.2. The store said more dramatic changes than what he has always lived in may do him worse.

I have no idea about the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
API Ph Kit.

17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?
Not applicable
Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #5 
okiemavis

A good all around test kit is the best tool a fish keeper can have. API Master Test Kit is the one I (and most people on this forum) use. Make sure to pickup a liquid test kit, not the strips, as they are far too inaccurate. If you get the water tested at your LFS, could you have them tell you the actual numbers, not just "fine"? I'm still leaning towards thinking this could be a water quality issue, although the fin is definitely infected.

My general recommendation for cases like this is a combination of Melafix (Bettafix) and Pimafix. Melafix is a good antibacterial (very good in this case to help fight infection), but not a very good antifungal, which is probably what is going on with the fin. The fact that these can be used in combination is very helpful.

However, it is possible that something more powerful is needed, which perhaps someone else can recommend. My biggest suggestion is not to treat with anything until you know your exact water parameters.

I generally don't mess with the pH of my tanks, as domestically raised fish, such as your betta, will do fine in a range of conditions. I keep my fish in a pH of 7.4 if that helps. Usually chemical pH adjusters cause instabilities in the long run, and stress the fish out more.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #6 
BettaStu

Regarding a filter, I have been looking over some smaller one suitable for my size tank to improve the water. Which would be the best?

Marineland Penguin 100 BIO-Wheel Power Filter
Hagen Elite Mini Underwater Filter
Jebo Int'l Internal Filter AP112F

Or another?