Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #11 
betaICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
That's columnaris, a bacterial infection.

You'll need an antibiotic like Kanaplex, to hit it fast. It can kill fish pretty quickly, or it can kill them over a few weeks. One of mine had it for two months before he died of it (he was sickly, and I just could not shift it).

So I don't mess about once I see fuzzy patches. Into antibiotic they go.

This is another good reason to keep your water quality up. Nice looking tank, btw, and glad to hear he's picked up a bit.

Is that a Dymax tank he's in?

Thanks for the quick update! I'll run to the pet store shortly (he had to get sick during my exam week).

Thanks for the compliment! I own a fluval spec which I've modified to keep filtration running 24x7.

I trying to redesign another tank with a moss tree once this fish has healed.
betaICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannguyen View Post
Sorry I couldnt help but I have a question: how do you know if he's "darting" ? Like whats the different between darting and swimming ?
Darting is like when they swim erratically or swim fast. Swimming is just the normal swimming slow.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
That's columnaris, a bacterial infection.

You'll need an antibiotic like Kanaplex, to hit it fast. It can kill fish pretty quickly, or it can kill them over a few weeks. One of mine had it for two months before he died of it (it IS immensely curable, but he was sickly, and I just could not shift it).

So I don't mess about once I see fuzzy patches. Into antibiotic they go.

This is another good reason to keep your water quality up. Nice looking tank, btw, and glad to hear he's picked up a bit.

Is that a Dymax tank he's in?

ETAL Maracyn 2 (NOT Maracyn 1) and Furan 2 are both also recommended, as Kanaplex is apparently somewhat hard to find in stores (which is odd, as many US fishkeepers swear by it)..
How is this columnaris? I thought that there was supposed to be a bacterial infection on the victim's mouth.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #14 
Aus

The flexibacter that causes columnaris (or 'fungus' though it isn't fungal at all..) also causes fin rot and cotton mouth as well as the classic saddleback and random fuzzy patches, I think depending on where it gets a hold on the fish (and/or the specific type of flexibacter (aka Flavo bacterium) infecting it.

There's also a variety which hits internal organs and kills in 24 hrs, often with no outward sign at all.

It --could-- also be saprolegnia (a true fungus) but that tends to grow where there's necrotic flesh, not on healthy skin. In any case, it's often a secondary infection where columnaris has set in anyway, so I tend to blitz the lot with antibiotic - and go from there.

Last edited by Aus; 07-15-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #15 
betaICS

Quote:
The flexibacter that causes columnaris (or 'fungus' though it isn't fungal at all..) also causes fin rot and cotton mouth as well as the classic saddleback and random fuzzy patches, I think depending on where it gets a hold on the fish (and/or the specific type of flexibacter (aka Flavo bacterium) infecting it.

There's also a variety which hits internal organs and kills in 24 hrs, often with no outward sign at all.

It --could-- also be saprolegnia (a true fungus) but that tends to grow where there's necrotic flesh, not on healthy skin. In any case, it's often a secondary infection where columnaris has set in anyway, so tend I blitz the lot with antibiotic - and go from there.
Before I head to the pet store, should I be searching for a general antibiotic or some specific such as Kanaplex?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #16 
LebronTheBetta

Ohhh... I get it know. I HATE internal breakdowns. In fish that is. I don't have them. If I did, I would be dead by now. D:
Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #17 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaICS View Post
Before I head to the pet store, should I be searching for a general antibiotic or some specific such as Kanaplex?
It needs to be effective against -- gram negative -- bacteria, so Kanaplex, Maracyn 2 (some recommend using both 1 & 2 together, in case of secondary infections but 2 is the important one here) and Furan 2. They're all ones I've read American fishkeepers using for this. I live in Oz, so we have different ones available.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #18 
betaICS

Before buying the medication, I noticed that it rubbing itself against objects. Perhaps this is a sign of Ick?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #19 
Aus

Ich looks really very different to fungus.

Ich is bright white tiny spots that cling to the betta's skin and kind of stand up off it when you look close. It can quickly cover a fish, but still looks like separate spots.

'Fungus' - columnaris - isn't so clearly defined, grows in patches rather than tiny spots and looks fuzzy.

Both will irritate the fish's skin. Ich itches more (I think), so you'd probably get a lot of flashing and darting.