Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #11 
Meggie6347

We have had my sisters betta for almost a year now I think and he JUST made his first bubble nest the other day...it just took him a long time to catch on

Just give him time, he just has to get used to his new real estate
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #12 
Bambi

It's likely the filter. ^^

Have you tried floating or tall(surface reaching) plants? Generally near a corner farthest from the filter. And maybe baffle the filter a tad.

The plants would give him a place to anchor his his nest(like the bottle cap would have, or the half a Styrofoam cup people use when breeding).
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #13 
hannguyen

Biscuit blows bubbles but they are all separate. What does this mean? Does it mean that the water is not healthy for him ? He never made any bubble nests ever since I got him. Does it mean he's too old for breeding? Or does it mean he's just unhappy ?
hannguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #14 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
It's likely the filter. ^^

Have you tried floating or tall(surface reaching) plants? Generally near a corner farthest from the filter. And maybe baffle the filter a tad.

The plants would give him a place to anchor his his nest(like the bottle cap would have, or the half a Styrofoam cup people use when breeding).
I have 2 silk 'surface reaching' plants near a corner farthest from the filter.

The filter output is very 'smooth' ... I will try to baffle it with something.

Thanks
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #15 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannguyen View Post
Biscuit blows bubbles but they are all separate. What does this mean? Does it mean that the water is not healthy for him ? He never made any bubble nests ever since I got him. Does it mean he's too old for breeding? Or does it mean he's just unhappy ?
I think that means he doesn't feel like building a nest at the time. My boys tend to do that when they sit in one place for a while. The bubbles are a result of the labyrinth organ which they use to breath air. They can be used to build nests, but not always.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #16 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Perseus made his first one in his 5 gallon tank a couple of weeks ago it was so fun to watch him adding bubbles to it all that day ! I keep waiting for him to start a new one each morning when I get up I look for one, seems they happen when you least except it so dont give up hope !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #17 
hannguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I think that means he doesn't feel like building a nest at the time. My boys tend to do that when they sit in one place for a while. The bubbles are a result of the labyrinth organ which they use to breath air. They can be used to build nests, but not always.
Yeah he's in a 1gal right now and I'll be moving him to a 5gal this weekend when I move to my Fall/Spring permanent dorm. But all he does is sleeping behind the heater and barely does anything :( Maybe he's bored in the small tank :( I feel bad for him
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #18 
misty1477

QUOTE=Perseusmom;1157499]Perseus made his first one in his 5 gallon tank a couple of weeks ago it was so fun to watch him adding bubbles to it all that day ! I keep waiting for him to start a new one each morning when I get up I look for one, seems they happen when you least except it so dont give up hope ![/quote]

COOL !!!!!
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannguyen View Post
Yeah he's in a 1gal right now and I'll be moving him to a 5gal this weekend when I move to my Fall/Spring permanent dorm. But all he does is sleeping behind the heater and barely does anything :( Maybe he's bored in the small tank :( I feel bad for him
I actually noticed this behavior more when they were in larger tanks. I see it a lot with my rosetail betta. His fins are so heavy he doesn't like to move a lot. If your boy has really long fins, it might be that he doesn't want to use the energy to move that much weight.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #20 
hannguyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I actually noticed this behavior more when they were in larger tanks. I see it a lot with my rosetail betta. His fins are so heavy he doesn't like to move a lot. If your boy has really long fins, it might be that he doesn't want to use the energy to move that much weight.
He's a blue veiltail. I always thought he's just a lazy butt.

Tags
bubble nests