Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 
PaintingPintos

Angry Split fins-- LOTS of them

Yesterday I noticed that Omelette apparently chases his shrimp buddy for entertainment.....and swims and gets stuck behind his mug and plants, which he isn't even supposed to access. Honestly he is a huge dummy and keeps ripping his fins on the plants that don't rip the delicate stockings, and his belly fin now has 3 rips, which start about 5/6 at the top. His tail fin has several rips, but most start near the end. His dorsal fin also has a tear.
They're not rotting but what should I do (other than move the plants so they're not pressed against the side of the tank). It's such a nice tank setup and it would be a shame if Om couldn't have all his fun plants to bop around in.
Should I just use AQ salt? There's also a ghost shrimp, so I don't know about that. Maybe I could move the shrimp to a 1 gallon tank while Om is healing?
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Need a pic and more info....

What size tank, filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, how much and how often on the water changes, food/feeding, any tank mates other than the Ghost shrimp, how long have you had him, what type of substrate....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Need a pic and more info....

What size tank, filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, how much and how often on the water changes, food/feeding, any tank mates other than the Ghost shrimp, how long have you had him, what type of substrate....
I can't do pics because my computer gets overloaded when I plug my camera in so it tends to crash. A lot.
But here we go~
Tank size: 3 gallons
Filter: none
Live plants: none
Water temp: 78-82 (constant)
Water changes: 50% every 3 days, 100$ every Saturday
Tank mates: none other than single shrimp
Had fish since beginning of January
Glass marble/flattened marble substrate
Fake plants include plastic and one silk plant
Air bubbler is run during the night (usually from 9pm-8am)
Activity and interaction: Mirror is left next to tank for 10 minutes, 2 sessions a day for stimulation
Water conditioner and additives: none
Water: hard well water, absolutely no chlorine or copper

And I know it's from the plants, though.... they're not sharp however when Om gets squeezed between them and the tank walls they rip.
Another one was found today midway up the belly fin and it's a small tear (looks like a little slit) and doesn't impair the fish's swimming in any way.

No parasites were found in case the fish was rubbing due to irritation.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since you already know the cause......and its not uncommon for the long fin males delicate fins to look tattered all the time when they are placed in tanks with water movement and objects....Just the use of the fin to swim with some long fin males is all it takes for them to look tattered. The glass marbles can even be a cause when the fins get pinched between them....

Sometime we have to make the choice with the more delicate fin males-either accept the tattered fin and keep them in the tank and prevent secondary infection with water changes and good nutrition or remove them to a bare, smaller tank to prevent the tattered fins.

What you could try....IAL or dried Oak leaf to toughen the scales/fins-this takes time.....If he doesn't have fin rot-I wouldn't do a salt treatment-just add an extra 50% water only along with your regular water changes for a couple of weeks-add some tannins, maybe change the rougher plants with silk or real...etc......

Good luck....
Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #5 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Since you already know the cause......and its not uncommon for the long fin males delicate fins to look tattered all the time when they are placed in tanks with water movement and objects....Just the use of the fin to swim with some long fin males is all it takes for them to look tattered. The glass marbles can even be a cause when the fins get pinched between them....

Sometime we have to make the choice with the more delicate fin males-either accept the tattered fin and keep them in the tank and prevent secondary infection with water changes and good nutrition or remove them to a bare, smaller tank to prevent the tattered fins.

What you could try....IAL or dried Oak leaf to toughen the scales/fins-this takes time.....If he doesn't have fin rot-I wouldn't do a salt treatment-just add an extra 50% water only along with your regular water changes for a couple of weeks-add some tannins, maybe change the rougher plants with silk or real...etc......

Good luck....
I didn't know fins could be THAT delicate... wow. My fish sounds like a wimp now, haha!
I feel bad putting the fish in a small tank, because when he was in a relatively bare 1 gallon he started to nip his fins off, and he got fin rot from it. He was constantly darting around, and he just basically looked miserable....

I definitely have access to oak leaves (conservation area right near my house) but is there any special way to prepare them?
Do I need to bake them? How much do I need to put in the tank? When should I swap them out for new ones?

This week I'm going to Petsmart so hopefully I'll be able to find some Java Moss and such.... I could do some really nice mini-scaping in the tank with some small plants.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves.....You can rinse them off if they are really dirty-I don't but I use dirt for my substrate and a little extra doesn't hurt or even noticed in my tanks....lol.....

For a general tonic use 3-4 leaves per gallon (light tan/tea colored water)-I would add them whole so you can remove them easier. Once they get water logged they will start releasing tannins and sink. You can remove them as they start to break down and/or stop releasing tannins....usually about every couple of weeks.

Be sure and have the replacement water used for water changes tanned as well-so you don't have too extreme chemistry changes.

For medication-I use 20 (more or less) per gallon of water (I want dark brown/amber colored water) that I have premixed in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to use for water changes.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #7 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves.....You can rinse them off if they are really dirty-I don't but I use dirt for my substrate and a little extra doesn't hurt or even noticed in my tanks....lol.....

For a general tonic use 3-4 leaves per gallon (light tan/tea colored water)-I would add them whole so you can remove them easier. Once they get water logged they will start releasing tannins and sink. You can remove them as they start to break down and/or stop releasing tannins....usually about every couple of weeks.

Be sure and have the replacement water used for water changes tanned as well-so you don't have too extreme chemistry changes.

For medication-I use 20 (more or less) per gallon of water (I want dark brown/amber colored water) that I have premixed in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to use for water changes.
Excellent! Thanks for the advice!
Today I gathered some Oak leaves from the local conservation area....not only did I get that, but as a nice bonus I took a lovely walk and watched a herd of deer interact

Tomorrow I will be getting some medication.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #8 
lelei

I have had that problem with Sammy, and just move the plants around, yes the tank may look good, but by a 1/2 inch to give em a lil more room to get around, so that they don't have to squeeze through..

I have been doing that since we got him, I notice from time to time, that when he is trying to get by, or thru a plant, he will get frustrated, and start yelling at it, so I move it a very lill bit, and all is well..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote