Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Not enough ammonia....

Even after two weeks my test reads <.25 ppm...So I have just been doing weekly 50% water changes with a gravel siphon...I don't know what else to do...
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Add more ammonia!! If you can... Make the water more poisonous!!! XD To fish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Lol I don't think that's a good idea considering my BETTA IS IN THERE lolz
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Do you have live plants in there? Those will out-compete the BB. If you do, then you could be doing a "silent cycle" with live plants. I would just keep doing what you are. It will take a while but your tank will cycle.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
OH! I thought you were doing a fishless. My bad... Can you add more fish?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Do you have live plants in there? Those will out-compete the BB. If you do, then you could be doing a "silent cycle" with live plants. I would just keep doing what you are. It will take a while but your tank will cycle.
No there are no live plants....that being said is your advice still the same?
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
OH! I thought you were doing a fishless. My bad... Can you add more fish?
It's okay lol. MY bad for not specifying :).
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
No there are no live plants....that being said is your advice still the same?
Live plants are always good!

That being said, when doing a fish in cycle it's best to have the ammonia around 0.25 ppm. It sounds like you should just continue in the same manner. If you wanted to up the ammonia (and water changes maybe) you could start feeding your betta a little more. Like three feedings a day instead of two.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Live plants are always good!

That being said, when doing a fish in cycle it's best to have the ammonia around 0.25 ppm. It sounds like you should just continue in the same manner. If you wanted to up the ammonia (and water changes maybe) you could start feeding your betta a little more. Like three feedings a day instead of two.
Could I just do less water changes?

Is it normal for a betta to produce so little ammonia?
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #10 
RainbowSocks
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Is it normal for a betta to produce so little ammonia?
Based on my limited experience with my one betta in my cycled 10 gallon... he doesn't produce much ammonia at all. It takes over a week for the nitrates to get to 5ppm (I also have a couple plants). I've never had any other fishies so I don't even know how that stands relative to other fish... That's my two cents.
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ammonia TharBePirates Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 12 09-19-2010 05:54 PM
AquaClear Ammonia Remover Filter Inserts? (ammonia removing gravel media...) PinkDiamond Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 3 10-20-2009 10:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.