Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 
Kambria

Looking for help...

I currently have a healthy happy little boy, I thought he was a halfmoon betta but I've been told he's a rosetail betta.. or something. I bought him because he's purple and a betta.. xD
I'm a college student with little space for a tank, and a RA who isn't fond that I have a fish in the first place.

Tank right now:
(minus the aligator head. Swapped it out for a smaller yellow hidey hole for a while)

http://www.petco.com/product/113970/...t=OnSiteSearch
-1 gallon
-heater
-day/night lights
-weekly(or more) water changes
-thermometer

WELL, YOU SEE.. I want another Betta. They're addicting and I love them.
The problem is I'd need to have them in ONE tank as to save space. I've seen those horrible tanks that just put a divider in the middle of a 1gallon and it seems so cruel. I've found a few 2.5 gallon tanks with dividers that have a built in filtration system... but I'm not too sure if that's a smart idea. I know 1 gallon is small for 1 betta, but I've had friends who have bettas in the tiny horrible tanks from like petsmart... Their fish live years and years in small spaces. So I feel like it wouldn't be horrible?

TL;DR
Just looking for some general tank opinions. ONE tank is ideal for two bettas (current one + new one I'd get). Just a non-horrible way to do that is the problem.. Thanks for any help.

P.S. Is he a rosetail betta? More pix for evidence. Ignore the tail biting, he's been bad lately. ):

Last edited by Kambria; 07-16-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Kambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #2 
mattoboy

Tank looks good. He looks like a doubletail halfmoon.
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #3 
Kambria

Thanks for letting me know.

Not quite the answer I was looking for though. :P
Kambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #4 
Maura

I wouldn't keep a betta in anything less than 2.5 gallons, let alone two bettas in that small of a space. Just my personal opinion.
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #5 
Aus

I guess I won't be much help.. as I agree, 2.5 is a bit small for 2 adult bettas. I'd find it a pain to water change every couple of days for two fish in the same tank, and would worry about ammonia...

And the more fancy your fish is, the more likely it is not to have the fortitude to survive a small space/ammonia exposure. Those big floofy fins rot so easily.

Up to you, of course. But I'd rather keep one fish in ease and good health than juggle two in a small tank..

I should add, your fish is lovely, beautiful colours. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #6 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
I wouldn't keep a betta in anything less than 2.5 gallons, let alone two bettas in that small of a space. Just my personal opinion.
Me neither. I have a few in 2.5 gallons by themselves and I still consider those temporary homes, to be upgraded. I don't know, my 2.5s seem really small to me and I can't imagine using anything smaller.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ooh a pretty double tail :D

A 1 gallon will need a little more water changes. 50% half weekly and 100% at the end of the week.
You probably have a lot less than one gallon taking in consideration the amount of accessories you have in there. so the pretty fish find might not fare so well if its water's not kept pristine.

The 2.5 could work, provided that you plan to keep two heavily finned guys in there. On the other hand if you plan to keep zippier fish on there, the small space really won't do their liveliness justice. you will need to have the same water change schedule 50% and 100% in one week.

The problem with the heavier tail guys is the work needed tokeep their fins pretty and keep them from biting their fins in boredom. If you really must go with the 2.5 I would recommend a nice planted tank and good lighting. This will optimise water parameters and allow for error.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
+1 Appropriate water changes can allow them to live well in a 1 gal but IMO I wouldn't put any of my bettas in less than 2.5.
Not sure what kind of space you have, but a 5 gal divided would work :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #9 
Meggie6347

If you have the room and money for a 2.5 gallon, why not upgrade your current betta to a bigger tank? he will be loads happier I'm sure with a little more room to swim I know they can be so addicting but personally, I wouldn't divide anything smaller than a 10-15 gallon...and even then I would only divide it for two bettas...I like my bettas to have lots of room to spread their fins...I have mine right now in 5.5 gallons and I am so rewarded with them...their fins and colors improve and they always have the cutest funniest characters...(not to say that keeping bettas in anything smaller is bad, don't tke that the wrong way! I currently have my girl in a 2 gallon...I want to upgrade her as soon as I can!) that's just my opinion anyway!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Looks like a delta tail or plakat how big is that tank if it is at least 2 gallons you can buy a floating Betta log my Betta loves it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote