Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #11 
MSG

If it's Hikari, I wouldn't waste it. Algae type food is probably the last type of food I would use to cycle.

Anything with a lot of protein will muck up the water faster. Hence the shrimp.

I used to think Tetra was good food, but after looking at the ingredients list, I've changed my mind.

Don't you have any dirty water from your betta tank? That would help with the bacteria bloom.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #12 
MSG

I did a surprise water change on the betta tanks. Took 80% of the water, and dumped out the really yucky bottom stuff.

I think the really yucky stuff is what I was supposed to use, but it grosses me out.

I'm going to throw 4 rosy barbs in there and let them do their magic.

The 1st pair of test tubes are from the first day.

2nd pair was taken 10AM today.

Last night, the 10g tank had a strange funky smell, but today not really noticeable. I'm assuming it's due to all the filters moving the water around.

Oh yeah, in the last photo, what do you think that Nitrite reading is? I can't really tell. It's sort of halfway between 1.0PPM & 2.0PPM

Sorry the picture is blurry, I'm in a rush to leave the house.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #13 
teeneythebetta

Yeah I think it's between 1 and 2 as well.

I just rode my bike to Walgreens hoping they'd have ammonia. They had some but it had chemicals in it that I can use in the tank.. I guess I will continue with the fish food
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
If it's Hikari, I wouldn't waste it. Algae type food is probably the last type of food I would use to cycle.

Anything with a lot of protein will muck up the water faster. Hence the shrimp.

I used to think Tetra was good food, but after looking at the ingredients list, I've changed my mind.

Don't you have any dirty water from your betta tank? That would help with the bacteria bloom.
Yeah I dont use the tetra, I just kept it. I use omega one now. When I removed my betta from the 10 gal, I left all her water in there so the water in the tank is all used xD
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta

At what point during cycling do I stop adding food? I've been told to add a bit every day..
Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #16 
MSG

I have no idea about how much more flakes to add.

I would just feed teeney more & give her more water changes.

My 10 gallon seems good. I tested it last night and same results. The smell that you get when you have cloudy water/bacteria bloom has completely disappeared. I'm going to test the water right now to see what results I get.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #17 
MSG

You don't have to buy ammonia, just use 50% of the water from teeney's temporary tank.

I actually have several bottles of PURE ammonia that was purchased at least 5 years ago. I never use it for cleaning because it's STRONG.

I think I was meaning to use it for repelling pets.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/fishless-cycling

Oh & I noticed you went with white gravel. I know someone who's using that same gravel, but it's covered in algae. She should invest in a algae eating fish, but she's already 2x overstocked.

Other than that I think your tank looks great. I prefer simpler looking arrangements, but you know what they say about sororities, they need to be majorly furnished.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #18 
MSG

The toad was a unexpected visitor that showed up when I was rinsing the tanks in the backyard. I caught him and relocated him to my garden for slug duty.

Those test tubes that look like orange ice tea inside are the ammonia results from the past couple days, you're supposed to dump them out, but I let it sit on the window sill. The color change is from the 90 degree temperature. That's why you write down the results & rinse out the tubes.

The fish in the photo is the newest member. 1st one was taken an hour after I brought her home in the betta cup (not so happy) & the 2nd one is an hour after her first 3 UltraC pellets (quite content). She tried to eat the little plants leaves on the bottom of the tank for a good 10-12 minutes before I decided to feed her.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #19 
MSG

You stop adding ammonia when the nitrates drop to Zero. Look at the tubes. Those are the nitrite results from the establish tanks - the baby blue tube means the nitrites are 0.

I would just do daily changes to teeney's water & use that as a constant infusion of ammonia.

I think if I use the pure ammonia I have, I THINK I would only need to use 2-5 tear drops. That stuff is STRONG.

If you get any 100% pure ammonia, make sure to take a good deep breath before opening the container.

Glove & safety glasses as well if you're accident prone.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #20 
MSG

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ss_cycling.php - very thorough
http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle - simplified

I'm going to add 2 drops of ammonia to the 10 gallon. All my ammonia test results are really low.

Latest reading is .25-.50ppm ammonia.

With the guppies, the ammonia readings were in the 5.0ppm and possibly 7.0ppm.