Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #1 
toad

Cool Vacancy at Toad's Aquarium

Hi guys!

So I currently have an empty 20 gallon long aquarium. When I adopted my first rat, the aquarium came with her; I moved her into a real cage and had this tank sitting in my spare room for a couple months. I stripped and resealed it (it holds water, I'm so proud of myself ) and now it's sitting, empty, on the bookshelf behind me.

I have no idea what/who to put in it. I was thinking maybe a tank of lady bettas, or a school of small, colorful... somethings.

Any suggestions, fishy friends?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Y'know... Sororities are pretty hard. Sometimes you get a bunch who hate each other. I have TWO who don't, and they are still together (I need to move them x.x today!) because the others were beaten and removed -.-

Why not something different... I personally like Dwarf/Pearl Gouramis (I dunno if a 20 is ok?), I love leopard danios, balloon mollies, red wag platys and the really really colorful guppies =D I have ones with the tiger look, cheetah look, bright yellow and red... =D It's really up to you and what you would like :P
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Y'know... Sororities are pretty hard. Sometimes you get a bunch who hate each other. I have TWO who don't, and they are still together (I need to move them x.x today!) because the others were beaten and removed -.-

Why not something different... I personally like Dwarf/Pearl Gouramis (I dunno if a 20 is ok?), I love leopard danios, balloon mollies, red wag platys and the really really colorful guppies =D I have ones with the tiger look, cheetah look, bright yellow and red... =D It's really up to you and what you would like :P
I am really scared to go the sorority route. If I end up with a half dozen girls who hate each other, I'm gonna have to scramble to find half a dozen tanks to put them in and places to keep all those tanks lol.

I will research the guppies :) They sound nice. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I had 4 sisters who loved each other, Marge and Tina backed each other up no matter what... But the new sorority fell apart. The females killed the other fish, then bullied the other females until two remained in the tank I have a divider for them now, to stop them from doing more harm lol. It's tough sometimes.

Just remember with guppies they are The Million Fish Stick to males
Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #5 
TheCrabbyTabby

Just be aware, female guppies can retain the sperm of males withing their bodies for months til they feel the time and the envronment are suitable for fertilizing and gestating their young. They are live bearers too, so you'll have to keep an eye out for any females that look pregnant.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

That's true
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #7 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Just be aware, female guppies can retain the sperm of males withing their bodies for months til they feel the time and the envronment are suitable for fertilizing and gestating their young. They are live bearers too, so you'll have to keep an eye out for any females that look pregnant.
Wow. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #8 
Enkil

I had no problem with my sorority except for my Conchenn. >>; Conchenn just isn't meant for sorority life. She's more aggressive than most of my males.
I had 8 females in my heavily planted 10 gal. They got along great.

I've also got divided tanks to house multiple males. I enjoy these as well. Especially my 10 gal that houses my Uther and Frost. Love to sit and watch them.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote