Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #61 
Sakura8

That's okay, Hal, I'm not offended. I threw that together at the spur of the moment anyway. I think Olympia will do a much better job of tackling cycling than I ever could.

I totally recognize your concerns about new keepers safely cycling fish-in. That's part of the reason why I think it's important to include that info. If we didn't, they would probably try to do it anyway and the results would be even worse and even harder on the fish.

Bettalover, yes, the new sticky will be drawn up by Olympia and will include elements from any and all cycling guides as she sees fit, with due credit given. Bahamut's guide will either precede this or be at the end.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #62 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awh shucks, Sakura. :3
There will be fair warnings in every section I assure you. Surfactants(?) in ammonia/bucket, mould in food, fish damage/lots of water changes/monitoring in fish in, the horror that ensues if all your plants die on you in planted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #63 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds good to me to have warnings.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #64 
Freyja
Banned

Yay for consensus and cooperation! I'm particularly interested in the section regarding planted tank cycling.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #65 
Sakura8

You said it, Freyja. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #66 
Oldfishlady

Since this is a Betta specific forum....What would you think about a Betta specific cycling method that a new keeper could safely do...with and without testing products-since most keepers can't afford expensive test kits....

Something that is not complicated-yet contains needed information that even a child can understand and follow.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #67 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Do you have something like that? All I can think of is plants. Or just keeping an uncycled tank, OFL.
A 5 gallon with a filter will cycle on it's own with a betta safely if you do 50% changes a week, I'm pretty sure.
There's no way to know without a test kit if ammonia is getting eaten fast enough.

I'm not even using the word "bacteria" in my guide. It's very down to the point of what should be happening.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #68 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Since this is a Betta specific forum....What would you think about a Betta specific cycling method that a new keeper could safely do...with and without testing products-since most keepers can't afford expensive test kits....

Something that is not complicated-yet contains needed information that even a child can understand and follow.....
I'm all for that OFL...I just came on here to ask some questions about my new 5.5 g that already has a fish in it. I'm really worried about him/his water..sigh
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #69 
Oldfishlady

First you need to understand the nitrogen cycle and the bacteria involved in the process.....Its self limiting to start with.....meaning that you can only colonize numbers based on the bioload/food source, dissolved oxygen and surface area....That is why cycling with just a single fish is different than cycling to stock a community tank.

Fishless cycling is used so that you can safely fully stock the community tank....When you fishless cycle you generally want to keep the ammonia level high so that you can colonize large number of beneficial bacteria to support the bioload-When you only add a single Betta-all that extra beneficial bacteria die/consume themselves due to limited food source/bioload...

I do think we need a good cycling method for community tanks and sororities since our member set these up as well....But a Betta specific and less complicated might benefit the hobbyist that keep 10gal and under with limited bioload.....

And of course I have one written......as well as many other Betta related information based on personal experience and experiments from the many years of keeping fish.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #70 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Where's the lightbulb-going-off emoticon?

OFL has refined her message and I have been more accepting of alternatives. I finally understand the advantages of fish-in cycling for a single Betta.

Power-cycling for community tanks is fun and fast. But when I saw the dismal and weak condition of my bacteria after having been maintained for a month by a single fish. It ook several days of ammonia feeding to recover. On the other hand, it was probably more than was necessary to begin with.

So I had to see it with my own eyes before I could really apreciate it. Thank you, Ma'am for that valuable lesson.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote