Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #1 
clurwitch

Tail Injury

Yesterday I was just thinking about how I should post an update on how well Max and Henry are doing after the couple of initial issues they had when they first came home.

Tonight I went to feed them and found a horrific rip in Max's tail. It's as if he got stuck somewhere and then ripped it off. He doesn't have a filter and other than some natural plants (I got rid of the plastic one ages ago), he only has a mug cave and the floating betta log. I can only think that the log, which floats around, trapped his tail between it and the side of the tank.

I removed it, along with his mug cave. He seems ok, slightly more subdued than usual, but eating and swimming around.

Other than regular water changes, what can I do to promote healing, also do you think he's in pain?

I've included a picture. Poor guy, he was fine when I got home this evening as I, so it must have happened over the last 2 hours.

photo.JPG by , on Flickr
clurwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 
cjconcepcion

.. ive never seen a tail ripped at the base like that. i think its safe to put the mug back, just dont put the log back so you can monitor him better.. i dont think the log couldve done that because these guys are alot stronger than they look and the log moves around pretty easily... i dont know if hes in pain or not, if hes acting okay i wouldnt assume so, as far as helping him heal just make sure the water is always clean, how big is the tank? and is it divided?
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #3 
clurwitch

The tank is 5ga, they each have their own.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #4 
cjconcepcion

i assume its heated and filtered? i think its great that you give your boys individual tanks that big :) is that piece still hanging off of him?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 
clurwitch

I mis-spoke. The tanks are 2.5ga. They are heated, but not filtered.

Yes, that's the remaining bit of tail. It's actually no longer there and he has a split down the middle of the remaining bit.

I can't think how he could do such damage. I'm beginning to think the new kitten may have something to do with it. The tanks have a cover, but a small "door' for feeding. I've taped it down to prevent any accidental opening.

My other betta had a bad tear in his tail from when I had the filters still. It has grown back in. You can see that the "skin" is much thinner, but it's back.

I'm really hoping Max does the same.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 
cjconcepcion

thats alright! i think he will be fine, just up the water changes, and he should heal up in a while. it wont grow back exactly the same, but he'll be okay, he is very beautiful by the way :)