Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 
meimei

Constant bloating and lethargy?

My new fish, Epsilon, has been dealing with a lot of sickies lately. :/ I picked him up from PetSmart about two weeks ago and started treating him for SBD in his quarantine tank. He is finally getting over the SBD, but sometime last week I noticed his abdomen is unusually large and swollen. He is also lethargic and often just sits/floats instead of swimming around. I've tried fasting him and feeding him brine shrimp while on epsom salt, but even when he's pooping normally he still looks a little swollen. I grabbed some API general cure for him about three days ago and he hasn't really responded to it--actually, his stomach looks more swollen after I started the general cure. I don't think it's parasites, either, because his poop looks normal.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, he's been in quarantine since I got him.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I have NLS pellets and frozen brine shrimp. He seems to get more constipated when he eats the pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Normally I'd feed them 2-3 pellets twice a day, but I've been fasting Epsilon for 1-2 days at a time and then feeding him.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I try to change his water every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? n100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat, some API Proper PH.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Honestly, I haven't tested the water because I've been doing so many water changes. Maybe I should?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His colors seem a little dingier. He went from being a light pink/pastel to having a duller sheen. His eyes also changed from being black to a light blue with a black ring around them.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's been pretty lethargic since I brought him home. He's also jumpy and tends to swim away from my hands, though oddly enough he doesn't flinch at all at his reflection.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He had SBD and was kind of lethargic when I brought him home two weeks ago, and about a week ago I noticed he had some unusual swelling around his stomach.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He's been on 2 tsp/gal of epsom salt for two weeks now and fasting for 1-2 days between meals for the SBD, which is now mostly cleared up. I put him on general cure about three days ago for the swelling.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I haven't he had him very long, so I'm not sure, but he's had SBD and constipation issues as long as I've had him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure. I read that LPS fish are sold at around six months, so maybe about that old?

Sorry I seem like I'm rambling. Epsilon's been dealing with sub-par health for so long I've been going kinda nuts with worry and probably not thinking too straight. :/
meimei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #2 
lvandert

Are his scales pineconed?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
meimei

No, they're not. He's a little darker around his stomach, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Is it like swollen and gray?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 
meimei

It's weird, but the swelling kinda comes and goes. He was swollen last night, let out a giant poop, was normal, and then a couple of hours later he was swollen again. He has a white patch where his gill plate (I think that's what it is?) meets his stomach but I think that's just his normal coloring. He's a pastel, flesh-colored fish and the area around his pectoral fins is dark under the skin, so I don't know that's unusual or if pale-colored fish like him are just darker around where their organs are.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... Can you post a picture?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 
meimei

I'll try, but Epsilon's extremely camera shy. :/
Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #8 
meimei

Sorry about the double-post and crappy picture quality, but here's what I managed to get.

Name:  DSCN2628.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  36.0 KB

I stuck a light behind his tank so you can kinda see the dark color in his abdomen.

Name:  DSCN2630.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  41.1 KB

You can kind of see the swelling here. It's usually a distinct roundness in his sides, though sometimes the swelling goes downward, too.