Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #11 
Bladezero

Maybe I'm tired and I missed the answer but maximum amount of salt treatment is 3x the dose as far as I know.. It's what you use as part of Columnaris treatment..
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #12 
lvandert

epsom salt max dosage is 3tsp per gallon
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #13 
ZackyBear

Eek, sorry everyone for not responding sooner. It's getting harder and harder to find time for the forums with things getting busy...

I moved onto the medication and noticed that his fins had stopped disappearing. I kept up the treatment for a few days until I noticed 'strings' on his fins (shows that his slime coat is kicking in to repair the damage). I'll keep him on the meds for another day or two.

Also, I hadn't made any water changes to the cycling tank. At first I didn't see a point to it, but then my parents decided to give me a 'peace offering' since I had been ignoring them. Now I have 5 more platys (2 of which are heavily pregnant). I changed the water and spent a whole day acclimating them when the chemistry looked a bit better:

Amonia: 0
Nitrates: 90-something
Nitrites:5
Water Hardness: 75, Soft
Alkalinity:100
Ph: 6.0

The platys look alright...but I'm going to add a bit of Amquel later on, just in case.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Those nitrates have got to come down. 90 is baaad. Water changes again until they come down to at least 40 or below. Otherwise your platy could miscarry or drop prematurely.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #15 
ZackyBear

I'm trying to keep up with daily 50% water changes and vacuuming the gravel. I finally just got frustrated and pulled it all out, though. I'm trying not to stress the platys with all of thse water changes x.x

The amquel helped a lot, though. I added some, waited a night and checked the water chemistry. The nitrites went down by 10...but that was when there was gravel. I'll wait until tonight after doing another test before adding any

Last edited by ZackyBear; 07-18-2012 at 10:08 AM.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote