Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 
1stRed

Lightbulb Bubbles on top of tank,and a few feeding questions

Hello
I recently notice that our new betta (had him almost a week) is making bubbles on the top of his tank. From what I've read this means he's happy...right? Also on a side note how many times should I feed him a day? And is it true that I can feed him a pea every now and then?
1stRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #2 
ihatefirewalls

The bubbles are a bubble nest built mostly by males and are a response to certain environmental conditions (still water, something to anchor nest to, etc). It doesn't necessarily mean he's happy, but it's still a generally good sign. How often a betta builds bubble nests is a personality quirk.

Feeding 2x a day is pretty standard but it's flexible. You can get away feeding 1x a day, every other day, skipping weekends, etc. Some people purposely fast their betta one day a week to purge their system and prevent bloating.

Peas are a controversial subject. Some people believe it helps with bloating, while other people believe it can be harmful since bettas are normally insectivores and don't have the digestive tract to deal with plant material well.

Last edited by ihatefirewalls; 07-18-2012 at 02:36 PM.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #3 
1stRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefirewalls View Post
The bubbles are a bubble nest built mostly by males and are a response to certain environmental conditions (still water, something to anchor nest to, etc). It doesn't necessarily mean he's happy, but it's still a generally good sign. How often a betta builds bubble nests is a personality quirk.

Feeding 2x a day is pretty standard but it's flexible. You can get away feeding 1x a day, every other day, skipping weekends, etc. Some people purposely fast their betta one day a week to purge their system and prevent bloating.

Peas are a controversial subject. Some people believe it helps with bloating, while other people believe it can be harmful since bettas are normally insectivores and don't have the digestive tract to deal with plant material well.
Thank you! I've been feeding 2x a day before and after work. But it's good to know that its safe to skip a feeding even let him fast a day! Wow the things you can learn by asking! Thank you!
1stRed is offline   Reply With Quote