Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #1 
Aurie

leach/worm things in my tank?

Ok so this isn't my betta tank, but in my cold water WCMM tank..

I know I've been a tad bit .. well I'm used to my Comet so I've been over feeding a bit (stupid baby fishies) and I haven't been able to gravel vac as much as I'd like (stupid baby fishies!) and I put my plants into a big plastic white bowl and when I moved them back into the tank after a short rinse in tap water in the bowl I noticed 2 worm things.. They are not free floating swimming wiggly things like I've seen online pictures of, but they're like leeches.. flat and they move like worms (stretch out.. shrink..) and they can move pretty fast too. I know they're flat and white in color. They are only on flat surfaces, like glass, the bottom of the bowl, etc

planaria maybe?

Sorry I couldn't get a picture, since they were white in a white bowl. I never see them in the tank, only in the bowl I use for my water changes. I now have the babies in a net breeder so I can gravel vac and feed them easier and so I can feed the adults about 10 tropical fish pellets. I have 4 ghost shrimp but I guess they're not cleaning up extra food like I hoped. Well they are, but I wish they had bigger stomachs.

So.. other than gravel vac, less food etc, do you think there is a treatment for these guys? I do have a snail and could easily put him in my old 2.5 that I fixed up QT tank and put something in the water? My fish do NOT eat these.. they don't even eat their own fry :( I have standard aquarium salt and maybe some epsom salt if that'd help. I haven't salted the tank since I got my snail. I used to do a small pinch for my 10 gallon in the filter to dissolve.

Suggestions welcomed.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #2 
Meggie6347

It's hard to sy exactly without a picture, but yes, sounds like planaria to me...the little white worms on glass? Sounds about right. They are always present in aquariums, but you don't really see them unless there's uneaten food in the tank or you're overfeeding fish are fine if it's planaria...just maybe feed a little less, do a good water change (gravel vac to get all the extra stuff out ) I don't see why you would have to do anything else to get rid of them...they're harmless I'm pretty sure so just take care of it when you can I've had them on my betta tank for a few days now...haven't had the chance to do a wc vac yet
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #3 
Aurie

Well it's kind of nice to know they're always there. I thought they hitchhiked in on something and bred, like snails or something. Nothing in my tank will eat them so I gotta manually remove them. I did a very good vacuum yesterday and hopefully that helps. I pulled up all the plants (I wanted to rescape anyway) and poked everywhere with the gravel vac. My shrimp hate it when I do this LOL
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #4 
Meggie6347

Haha whenever I vacc My tank, my shrimp are like magnets to my hand lol

And yes, if it's planaria, just fine! The first time I saw them years ago within the first few months of having a tank (guppies and such) I FREAKED out...thoughtit was some deadly parasite...of course being new, called my stinky lfs because I thought they actually knew what they were talking about (yea RIGHT) and they sold me some super powerful (probably unhealthy) parasite medication, told me to use gloves just in case they would "get on my skin and harm me" told me to wipe it off with a paper towel, too, then bleach the paper towels before throwing them away in a completely sealed bag...ahhhh lfs you make me laugh...they made me freak out over something the should have known hah!

Sounds like planaria to me by how you're describing it, can't be 100% sure without seeing it myself, but I know how impossible I is to get pix of them! Just google some images of it o something just to see

And yea I've never had anything that would eat them either
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote