Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #1 
SparklE fin

Question Does it matter where you get your bettas? Does it live longer that way?

Like if you got a betta from Wal*Mart and got another one from a reputable breeder and put them in the same conditions, would one live longer? Or is it based on genetics?
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #2 
magnum

I would say no. Unless one of the betta's be it the pet store one or show quality one, all that matters is what kind of conditions you as the owner give the fish to live in. The genetics may contribute, such as one fish may be more resilient to infections and such, but this would be the same with any fish, and given the right conditions, your betta will thrive. I have three pet store variety betta's, and they all are wonderful, complex creatures. The real difference between the show standard betta and the pet store one is the form and finnage along with the genetics and breeding.

Also, assuming that you buy a pet store fish that has no current defects such as bent spine etc. the quality of life should be that exactly the same as the reputable breeders fish. All that matters is the love,care and attention you give them.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #3 
SparklE fin

Then why do you think people say Walmart fish die in an hour but Petsmart/co lives forever
SparklE fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 
inareverie85

Walmart fish dying within an hour has nothing to do with genetics.

It just means that Walmart keeps their fish in horrible conditions, and you're likely buying very sick fish that are knocking on Death's door from living in such conditions for so long.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #5 
Leeniex

My walmart guy has lived the longest.

My betta from a "reputable breeder" (aka big fat liar) lived a few hours. Petco lived a day. My Petsmart boys do well too.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

I have a Wal-Mart betta that has been alive 2 going on 3 years. Actually, I have one male and two females that I bought around the same time from wal-mart (within a week) I have had all three 2 years going on 3. It's all about looking for a healthy looking betta's. If you cave and buy one that you know looks sick you are risking losing that fish. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

I think the ones that come from the breeders biggest issue is shipping. Shipping is hard on fish and some don't survive it.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have 2 that came from Petsmart that I've had for close to 3 years. It will be exactly 3 years in a couple of weeks. I got 2 from a breeder. One died 4 months after I got her. The other one will be 2 years old the last seek of September.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #8 
Mo

Thai fish live less than a year

Walmart or any other big chain store depends on how they are kept. And how they were kept prior to buying them

Breeder fish usually survive the longest as king as they were rated right and are in good condition
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #9 
magnum

Quote:
Thai fish live less than a year
Why don't Thai fish live as long? Is it the stress of travel, or just genetics, so forth?
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Why don't Thai fish live as long? Is it the stress of travel, or just genetics, so forth?
I'm also curious to know why this might be. I'd once considered buying some plakats from overseas, but this is making me reconsider that.

What about fish from US breeders?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote