Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Talking Horses, Horses, Horses!

So as most of you know, i am obsessedwith horses. I currently just lost an American Quarter from old age. He was a rescue, around 25-30 yrs.
I am currently helping care for a German Warmblood Hanoverian (25yrs). I ride mostly western, and love going out on trail and just being with horses.

My other pets are listed in my signature

So, anybody want to share anything about the sport, riding, horses, their horses, etc?

POST AWAY LOL!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #2 
puppyrjjkm
Member
 
puppyrjjkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
We have 3 geldings. 2 quarter horses and 1 paint. Had them for well going on 11 yrs this Christmas. We lived in Montana for 10 yrs and just recently relocated and brought the boys with us. And we now live in a horse community and have the horses right behind our house! We ride western pleasure :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
We have 3 geldings. 2 quarter horses and 1 paint. Had them for well going on 11 yrs this Christmas. We lived in Montana for 10 yrs and just recently relocated and brought the boys with us. And we now live in a horse community and have the horses right behind our house! We ride western pleasure :)
Thats fantastic! i wish i lived near the hoses, but western pleasure is always fun! Your horses sound beautiful!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #4 
TheCrabbyTabby
Member
 
TheCrabbyTabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Horses are apparently in my blood.

My great-grandfather (my mother's father's father) was the caretaker for his cavalry units' horses in WWI. There is an old photograph floating around, though I have yet to see it, of him with said horses.

Then, on my mom's side of the family yet again, (this time on my mother's mother's side) they had a farm, which is still in operation today, where they once raised Belgian draft horses to be their "tractors" and plow the fields and stuff (they were very poor immigrants from Belgium and couldn't afford a real tractor so they had those big horses).

Onto my my mother, who grew up riding a horse of her own, a horse named Blue Boy. He wasn't any particular breed, essentially just mutt of a horse, but he was a good horse, although a very nervous one, and they learned how to ride together. Mom often rode bareback as there was only one saddle to be shared by her and her three sisters and their horses. Besides, the horses never really liked wearing the saddle she says. They would run in the other direction when the saddle came out.

There were three horses to be shared among Mom and her four sisters, mainly because the forth sister was born a little later than the first three, and money was kind of tight. One of them was an actual quarter horse, a bay named Sugar, who was ironically anything but sweet. She would balk and buck and bite all the time and try to get the rider off her back. She wasn't really wild, just a little resentful and untrained I believe. I think she was named that because she liked sugar cubes.

Me? I used to want to ride horses, and even did several times, but I am deathly afraid of falling in general so being in the saddle, off the ground like that, it makes me nervous. That and a horse is a lot of animal to handle IMO. I apparently didn't inherit the family horsemanship gene.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #5 
Sapphoira
New Member
 
Sapphoira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
I am a lifelong professed horse addict. Unfortunately I am not in the financial position to care for one right now.. I sold my two when I was in college. I so dearly miss riding! I live in the heart of foxhunting country in Maryland, where taking lessons just to ride is anything but cheap! *sigh* The only consolation is my equine best friend is doing wonderfully with her owner, who is taking her to college for an equestrian program this fall! I mostly rode english; huntseat equitation and some low level dressage. Doodle's (my mare :P) new owner trained her in barrel racing, and did really well on the 4-h circuit! Which was really awesome, because in the middle of western Colorado a 17hh Thoroughbred is not often seen barrel racing among a sea of QB's and Paints!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #6 
JBosley
Member
 
JBosley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
I pretend to own a 7yr old Tennessee Walker gelding Geronimo, Gerry for short. He is technically owned by my Mother's friend, but I'm the only one who rides him and such! He is amazing He is "Champagne" colored, AKA light beige/almost white.

I ride Western, and just for pleasure Though I am hoping to take English lessons just for fun soon!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Horses are apparently in my blood.

My great-grandfather (my mother's father's father) was the caretaker for his cavalry units' horses in WWI. There is an old photograph floating around, though I have yet to see it, of him with said horses.

Then, on my mom's side of the family yet again, (this time on my mother's mother's side) they had a farm, which is still in operation today, where they once raised Belgian draft horses to be their "tractors" and plow the fields and stuff (they were very poor immigrants from Belgium and couldn't afford a real tractor so they had those big horses).

Onto my my mother, who grew up riding a horse of her own, a horse named Blue Boy. He wasn't any particular breed, essentially just mutt of a horse, but he was a good horse, although a very nervous one, and they learned how to ride together. Mom often rode bareback as there was only one saddle to be shared by her and her three sisters and their horses. Besides, the horses never really liked wearing the saddle she says. They would run in the other direction when the saddle came out.

There were three horses to be shared among Mom and her four sisters, mainly because the forth sister was born a little later than the first three, and money was kind of tight. One of them was an actual quarter horse, a bay named Sugar, who was ironically anything but sweet. She would balk and buck and bite all the time and try to get the rider off her back. She wasn't really wild, just a little resentful and untrained I believe. I think she was named that because she liked sugar cubes.

Me? I used to want to ride horses, and even did several times, but I am deathly afraid of falling in general so being in the saddle, off the ground like that, it makes me nervous. That and a horse is a lot of animal to handle IMO. I apparently didn't inherit the family horsemanship gene.
WOW.. and you didn't get the gene..huh? XD
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphoira View Post
I am a lifelong professed horse addict. Unfortunately I am not in the financial position to care for one right now.. I sold my two when I was in college. I so dearly miss riding! I live in the heart of foxhunting country in Maryland, where taking lessons just to ride is anything but cheap! *sigh* The only consolation is my equine best friend is doing wonderfully with her owner, who is taking her to college for an equestrian program this fall! I mostly rode english; huntseat equitation and some low level dressage. Doodle's (my mare :P) new owner trained her in barrel racing, and did really well on the 4-h circuit! Which was really awesome, because in the middle of western Colorado a 17hh Thoroughbred is not often seen barrel racing among a sea of QB's and Paints!
Wow.. yep horseback riding and horses and aren't anywhere near cheap lol
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
I pretend to own a 7yr old Tennessee Walker gelding Geronimo, Gerry for short. He is technically owned by my Mother's friend, but I'm the only one who rides him and such! He is amazing He is "Champagne" colored, AKA light beige/almost white.

I ride Western, and just for pleasure Though I am hoping to take English lessons just for fun soon!
I do exactly the same. I ride these, now one, horse and take care of them more than anybody else really, so i consider them mine lol XD

I haven't taken English, but hope to soon!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #10 
Sapphoira
New Member
 
Sapphoira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
I pretend to own a 7yr old Tennessee Walker gelding Geronimo, Gerry for short. He is technically owned by my Mother's friend, but I'm the only one who rides him and such! He is amazing He is "Champagne" colored, AKA light beige/almost white.

I ride Western, and just for pleasure Though I am hoping to take English lessons just for fun soon!
I loooove Champagne colored Tennessee Walkers! I feel like it's the perfect color for such a majestic mover.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clydesdale, horse, horseback riding, horses, quarter horse

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else have/like horses? PaintingPintos Finless Friends 21 01-04-2012 10:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.