Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #11 
Shirleythebetta

Flakes are fine if you monitor how much you give them and watch them eat. It's all about what you decide is best in the end though. Just a little pinch will do. Many betta's I have had, had issues with pellets at first honestly. One boy I had over a year and the whole time he would not eat a pellet unless I crushed it first. So every other day here I am crushing up pellets, husband looking at me like I'm a loon. What I do is alternate flakes and pellets. Bettas get bored so easy. I couldn't imagine trying to eat the exact same thing day after day. Bleck. Just be careful you don't overfed. I think someone on here stated a betta's stomach is the size of it's eye? If that gives you an idea. Don't know if it is true or not but some people with good reps on here said it.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #12 
Shirleythebetta

Oh you can get bloodworms in flake form. I used them before and liked them. I do agree that flakes are messy though. Like I said just a pinch and watch them eat.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #13 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Flakes are fine if you monitor how much you give them and watch them eat. It's all about what you decide is best in the end though. Just a little pinch will do. Many betta's I have had, had issues with pellets at first honestly. One boy I had over a year and the whole time he would not eat a pellet unless I crushed it first. So every other day here I am crushing up pellets, husband looking at me like I'm a loon. What I do is alternate flakes and pellets. Bettas get bored so easy. I couldn't imagine trying to eat the exact same thing day after day. Bleck. Just be careful you don't overfed. I think someone on here stated a betta's stomach is the size of it's eye? If that gives you an idea. Don't know if it is true or not but some people with good reps on here said it.
I've heard the eye=stomache size before and been careful giving Lychee the right amount. My last betta I had few years ago hated pellets and I ended up crushing them for him so I know the feeling lol! I did that for Lychee mainly because he is younger. Even when I fed him blood worms I would break them smaller for him haha. Thank you so much for the information darling and your help! :)
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #14 
Shirleythebetta

No problem. I try to share what little experience I have :/
Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #15 
megaredize

I've been told to pre soak the freeze dried worms so that they dont expand in their stomach. it is still a junk food so you probably shouldnt feed it every day. But pre soaking it helps with the bloat.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #16 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
I've been told to pre soak the freeze dried worms so that they dont expand in their stomach. it is still a junk food so you probably shouldnt feed it every day. But pre soaking it helps with the bloat.
Oh that actually sounds like a good idea. Whenever I give him any bloodworms again I'll be sure to try that.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #17 
ktlelia

Glory glory, the little buggar liked this other brand of pellets I found and looks pretty happy with them.
I feel silly thinking bloodworms were pretty good for bettas Thank you guys so much for telling me the ways before I ended up hurting (or worse) my little man.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #18 
Shirleythebetta

Actually Old Fish Lady claims the presoaking thing as a hoax. It's said they have stomach acids so the stuff won't expand. I think the main risk oh bloat is overfeeding. I trust Old Fish Lady. Glad he found a pellet he liked!