Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 
toad

Red face Guilt trips/Life saving

Hey everyone.

So I went back to Walmart solely to check on the fish, because yesterday I complained about how awful the conditions were. I was thrilled to see the tanks had been scrubbed and had no carcasses or crud on the bottom

I was not thrilled to see that the Bettas I so carefully photographed yesterday were STILL in the same ammonia - I mean, "water" - that they were in days ago when I first went there.

I told myself to complain again, found a cheap air stone (which I'm not even sure I want to use now ) and got in line to check out. But, while I was standing there, I got this horrible wave of guilt about this one crowntail sitting in a pile of black debris in that awful little cup. So I went back to look at him again. Of course, now he's sitting in a new 3 gallon tank on top of my dresser

I know I should have let the tank sit for a while and filter, etc. But, I mean, what could be worse than sitting in a cold cup full of poo? So I set up the tank and plopped him right in (used water conditioner, and it was just a bit warmer than the cup water). He's swimming around pretty good, and when I just went in to check on him, he swam right over to see me....

So, I'm hoping with a little love and some warmth, I can bring this poor little abused soul back (?) to good health.

I have to run to Petco for dog food and a plant for the little guy, and I will come back and post pics of him.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 
xShainax

My third betta was a rescue from Walmart. He never fully regrew his tail
Attached Images

xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 
toad

Aww that's wonderful! I'm so glad you rescued him

Here's the new baby, in that horrid cup, on my dashboard outside the store:

Here's his new house (I haven't put anything in it for him yet, but I will tonight):

On another note - this tank has a tube with an air stone in the middle. Any thoughts on that? I feel like it's blowing him all over when it's on and he can't get to top to breathe Should I just take it out?

And, since we're talking air stones - I bought one today for the 10 gallon tank, and now I'm worried about putting it in there. I didn't realize they cause so much movement in the water. Does anybody use air stones?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 
lilyrazen

I used to use them, but they really freaked out my bettas. After a few days they get used to it, but they're not huge fans.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #5 
toad

I took it out, and I'm going to return the one I bought. Plus, returning it will give me a good excuse to make sure they cleaned those cups...

I put an anubia and some rocks in there for him instead. I think it looks better that way.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

How good for you to buy the little guy he is a cutie...best wishes for him in his happy new home and some nice good warm water !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #7 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
How good for you to buy the little guy he is a cutie...best wishes for him in his happy new home and some nice good warm water !

Thanks! I can't wait for him to relax his fins so I can see what he really looks like.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #8 
katrina89

I hate the airstone... i dont use mine for my 1.7 QT tank... it doesnt do anything and it freaks them out
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #9 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
I hate the airstone... i dont use mine for my 1.7 QT tank... it doesnt do anything and it freaks them out

Yeah :/ Too bad, because the bubbles are so pretty! But the fish I bought the airstone for hates any sort of movement in his water; he's got very big floofy fins and gets blown all over the place. So, back to Walmart I go...

So, while I was in line at Walmart, the guy behind me told me how he used to have a betta - "you know, one of those ones in the vase and they eat the roots of the plant? He lasted quite a while". He lasted quite a while? Sounds like a kitchen sponge, not a pet! I was about ready to cry. And all I could say was... "oh yeah?" and try to smile, since he was holding half my merchandise for me
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #10 
xShainax

My old betta loved the airstone
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote