Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #3891 
teeneythebetta

Today I'm getting another female!! She will be in a heated 2.5 g for quarantine but eventually will share a divided 10 gal with Teeney.

I'm hoping she is still at walmart- she's a yellow VT and I want to get her and name her tiny! I HOPE SHE'S STILL THERE!

If not I'm sure I will find another pretty girl :3 I will post pics later ;)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #3892 
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir09 View Post
I just got my first betta fish. I named him Indigo Fishie. :))
You cannot keep your fish in that container. A Betta fish needs at least 5 gallons. It must be heated. It must be filtered. The amount of ammonia that builds up in that container is insane.
Pwned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #3893 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwned View Post
You cannot keep your fish in that container. A Betta fish needs at least 5 gallons. It must be heated. It must be filtered. The amount of ammonia that builds up in that container is insane.
Bettas do not NEED 5 gallons. And they do not NEED filters. In fact, most bettas prefer to not have a filter as it creates too much water flow.

As long as they provide a heater for the vase and proper water changes then the betta will be fine.

Yessir09, I highly recommend getting a longer aquarium. Bettas prefer to swim back and forth, not up and down. Also, in a longer aquarium you can provide more plants and hidys to entertain your beta.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #3894 
teeneythebetta

Okay here is my new female! She is really liking the temporary QT 2.5 g heated tank! I'm trying to find out why shes got the red spot on her gill flap... hoping someone in the disease & emergencies section will help me out! :) Her name is Tiny.. (get it? Teeney... And Tiny... ;)

Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #3895 
Pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Bettas do not NEED 5 gallons. And they do not NEED filters. In fact, most bettas prefer to not have a filter as it creates too much water flow.

As long as they provide a heater for the vase and proper water changes then the betta will be fine.

Yessir09, I highly recommend getting a longer aquarium. Bettas prefer to swim back and forth, not up and down. Also, in a longer aquarium you can provide more plants and hidys to entertain your beta.
Incorrect. They do need at least 5 gallons. Any less is the same as sticking your kid in a closet for 14 years and then saying "Hey! My kid lived 14 years in a closet! Awesome!". In the wild, they live in rice patties that are shallow, but stretch across thousands of acres. Even in the winter. They also live in slow moving streams. They also do need a filter. This is because in the wild, there are thousands of slowly moving water to soil. In, say, 2 gallons, with frequent water changes, it is only 2 gallons of STILL water. Ammonia builds up fast. I just changed the filter cartridge in my 5 gallon. It was brown. It was originally white. It got that way in 3 weeks. See my point?

Last edited by Sakura8; 07-19-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Pwned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #3896 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Incorrect. They do need at least 5 gallons. Any less is the same as sticking your kid in a closet and saying "Hey! My kid lived 14 years in a closet! Awesome!". In the wild, they live in rice patties that are shallow, but stretch across thousands of acres. Even in the winter. They also live in slow moving streams. They also do need a filter. This is because in the wild, there are thousands of slowly moving water to soil. In, say, 2 gallons, with frequent water changes, it is only 2 gallons of STILL water. Ammonia builds up fast. I just changed the filter cartridge in my 5 gallon. It was brown. It was originally white. It got that way in 3 weeks. See my point? You're an idiot.
Woah woah woah. Please, respect the other members on this forum. If you can't do something as simple as that, please take your childish ways elsewhere.
I think bettas really appreciate 5 gallons or more. Do they NEED 5 gallons? No. To be honest tank size is really opinionated. I believe 2.5 gallons or more of a heated tank is the minimal a betta should ever have. Do I believe a filter is necessary? Not exactly they don't NEED one although I think it is a nice thing for any tank. As for the filter cartridge, you're not supposed to change it- it helps build up beneficial bacteria to cycle the tank.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #3897 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Incorrect. They do need at least 5 gallons. Any less is the same as sticking your kid in a closet for 14 years and then saying "Hey! My kid lived 14 years in a closet! Awesome!". In the wild, they live in rice patties that are shallow, but stretch across thousands of acres. Even in the winter. They also live in slow moving streams. They also do need a filter. This is because in the wild, there are thousands of slowly moving water to soil. In, say, 2 gallons, with frequent water changes, it is only 2 gallons of STILL water. Ammonia builds up fast. I just changed the filter cartridge in my 5 gallon. It was brown. It was originally white. It got that way in 3 weeks. See my point? You're an idiot.
Wow. Can you provide me with proof that these fish NEED atleast 5 gallons and a filter to live in?
I think the way you responded to me was very immature and rude. Please so me your proof of bettas NEEDING atleast 5 gallons to thrive. BTW the brown you see on your filter cartridge is beneficial bacteria. By throwing that cartridge out and putting in a new one you are killing the cycle your aquarium is trying to establish. Not from the ammonia. Ammonia is a form that you cannot see. It is a substance that live plants feed off of.

Again, bettas do not NEED atleast 5 gallons to live in. You can easily put a betta in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with some live plants. And no filter. Do the regular/required water changes and the fish is very healthy. Here is my proof: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

Lastly, just because someone tells you something different from what you believe or have learned doesn't mean their wrong and it also doesn't give you the right to insult them like that. How would you feel if I insulted you because what you said is inaccurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Woah woah woah. Please, respect the other members on this forum. If you can't do something as simple as that, please take your childish ways elsewhere.
I think bettas really appreciate 5 gallons or more. Do they NEED 5 gallons? No. To be honest tank size is really opinionated. I believe 2.5 gallons or more of a heated tank is the minimal a betta should ever have. Do I believe a filter is necessary? Not exactly they don't NEED one although I think it is a nice thing for any tank. As for the filter cartridge, you're not supposed to change it- it helps build up beneficial bacteria to cycle the tank.
Thank you so much!

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 07-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #3898 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can we please get back on topic?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #3899 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Okay here is my new female! She is really liking the temporary QT 2.5 g heated tank! I'm trying to find out why shes got the red spot on her gill flap... hoping someone in the disease & emergencies section will help me out! :) Her name is Tiny.. (get it? Teeney... And Tiny... ;)

What a pretty girl!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #3900 
teeneythebetta

Thanks DQ! I actually just got some help in the diseases and emergencies section.. And found out those red lines by her gills are ammonia burns... Poor baby. Gonna keep her water nice & clean, get her some AQ salt & stress coat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
arteries;), betta pics!, glory werz here!:b, wonderful bettas