Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Betta has red near gills?

On my new female's gill flap- there's a patch of red with a white line through it. I will try to put pics up later but I can't ATM.

I bought her like this today.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I'd say until you can get a clear picture for diagnosis, just go with clean water and stress coat.

If she's been in pet store care for a while, then maybe try out some aquarium salt at 1 tsp/gal to see if that helps at all.

Sounds like it might be an ammonia issue.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Okay I'm really sorry I couldnt put up a picture right away. I'm adding a picture below. I put her in a 2.5 gal heated QT tank. I let her float to adjust to the temperature & I slowly added new water to her old water. Then I put her in.. She has made the transition well and seems to really appreciate the environment- she is swimming all over! She was very hungry (trying to eat the scum off the bottom of her pet store cup ) so I gave her a bit of food.

Also if she should have stress coat.. I might not be able to get any for a couple days.. My mom has to drive me, she hates driving me places.. Hopefully she will go to walmart soon, petco is in walking distance. I have the heater set to 80 degrees, is that okay? I know sometimes sick bettas often require slightly higher temps.. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

I agree with using the aquarium salts. ^^
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Stress coat isn't 100% necessary. It would be a nice addition.

That is most definitely ammonia burning, so just make sure you do a lot of water changes for the first week at least and continue with aquarium salt to help her out with healing.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Stress coat isn't 100% necessary. It would be a nice addition.

That is most definitely ammonia burning, so just make sure you do a lot of water changes for the first week at least and continue with aquarium salt to help her out with healing.
Aww poor baby :( It doesn't surprise me though- her cup was FILTHY. I will try to get the stress coat & AQ salt ASAP... I'm up to any water change schedule... What would be a good amount? 50% every other day or..?

Also how long should she be treated with the stress coat & AQ salt? I've heard the salt is bad for them after so long so.. Thanks.

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 07-19-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

Aquarium salt for 7 days with 100% daily changes. You might want to switch her back to the cup once you get the salt started since that will be easiest to change. You can premix the water in a gallon jug and that should last for what you need.

After the week of treatment, I'd say you're safe to go to a regular water change schedule.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Alright, sounds good! Thanks!