Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Talking Mosquitos!

Ive been collecting mosquito larvae (it's winter here, so they're rarer), to feed to Toothbrush to help him with his fin regrowth :D his natural hunting insticts switches right on when he sees the wiggly things and devours it in a couple of seconds.
When I flared him after his meal today he pooped a black larvae sized poop! they certainly do poop the color of the stuff they eat!

Next is to try and use the put the banana tree in the backyard to a betta purpose..
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #2 
MSG

Where are you collecting the mosquitos from? Do you have a jar of water in the backyard?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 
Catfish Billy

He, he, he..... I get mosquito larvae too! I find it fun to feed them to my fish coz' I HATE mosquitoes!

@MSG I know the question wasn't directed at me but..... I have a tub filled with rain water from our water butts. For nutrients I've put in veg scraps tied up in cloth and put it in (for easy removal). When they're ready I fish them out with a net, rinse them, then put them in a jar of aquarium water so I can pour them in when needed.
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #4 
MSG

Thanks for responding.

No big deal, if you can answer a question, just respond.

In the US, we call those things rain barrels. I have 3 of them now, but they're not connected yet. I have to level the area where I'm going to install them.

Your method seems much cleaner. As you know, mosquito love dirty water & they can harbor parasites/diseases.

I caught about a dozen mosquito larvae today to feed 2 of the bettas.

They're having some chipmunking issues right now, so I'm not going to feed them anymore.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It looks like he didn't have time to digest it cause he got stressed out about "another male." o.o
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

@ MSG I collect mine from a basin we have next to our pond, since our hose in the garden leaks, it sitsunder the hose to catch water.

@Olympia lolol, but I fed him in the morning an flared him at night after his dinner! I was like....ew..why is this poop black....? ... Where is my cinnamon bun?!?!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote