Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #11 
TheCrabbyTabby

Nope, Rainbowfish, I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I very much respect the horse and love to see them run and whatnot, but I am just not a horseman, er woman.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #12 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphoira View Post
I loooove Champagne colored Tennessee Walkers! I feel like it's the perfect color for such a majestic mover.
Well put Sapphoira!!

I might start helping a lady lease/care for/and ride a thoroughbred (i know they are a handful XD). He/she (we don't know yet which gender) is 18-19 hands and 9 yrs old. So excited!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #13 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Nope, Rainbowfish, I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I very much respect the horse and love to see them run and whatnot, but I am just not a horseman, er woman.
haha your just an observer which is perfectly fine -we are all hors elopers here :)
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #14 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
You might be lucky. Having horses as the love of your life has a lot of drawbacks.... I will never stop thinking they are the single greatest thing on the planet but some years ago I took a bad spill and messed up my back suuper bad, and the resulting concussion from it gave me HORRIBLE motion sickness, even still years later! Occasionally I think "man, if only I had taken a charm to something nice and safe and cheap like embroidery, then I wouldn't have this searing pain in my back!" But then I remember that indescribable feeling of cantering under the sun, and the tantalizing aroma of fly spray, horse sweat, and leather.. and I don't regret a minute of it :)
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #15 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
Well put Sapphoira!!

I might start helping a lady lease/care for/and ride a thoroughbred (i know they are a handful XD). He/she (we don't know yet which gender) is 18-19 hands and 9 yrs old. So excited!

Thoroughbreds CAN be a handful, but honestly like any animal you train it really depends on teaching them manners, and giving them the proper amount of exercise. Sometimes they are bit more silly than some other breeds... flighty doesn't even begin to describe it imo! But I've had several TB's, and one of them was the most down to earth horse. My first horse was an off the track TB, 18hh and 19 years old. He was a MONSTER. I loved him dearly, but so many years of mistreatment or just not GOOD treatment he was pigheaded, spooky, and HOT. I had to lunge him an hour before I could even get on him, and I can't tell you the number of times I got dragged through the mud when he spooked at something like a suspicious haybale or rogue weed in the arena!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #16 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Thoroughbreds CAN be a handful, but honestly like any animal you train it really depends on teaching them manners, and giving them the proper amount of exercise. Sometimes they are bit more silly than some other breeds... flighty doesn't even begin to describe it imo! But I've had several TB's, and one of them was the most down to earth horse. My first horse was an off the track TB, 18hh and 19 years old. He was a MONSTER. I loved him dearly, but so many years of mistreatment or just not GOOD treatment he was pigheaded, spooky, and HOT. I had to lunge him an hour before I could even get on him, and I can't tell you the number of times I got dragged through the mud when he spooked at something like a suspicious haybale or rogue weed in the arena!
I am sorry to hear about your fall, but like most horse-riders/lovers you realized it was worth every minute :)

I know i just can't wait to see what his/her coloring is, markings, personality-everything! I will post a let you guys know when he/she arrives(i believe its a rescue)!

Lunging an hour before EVERY ride? Wow..
Old 07-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #17 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
I am sorry to hear about your fall, but like most horse-riders/lovers you realized it was worth every minute :)

I know i just can't wait to see what his/her coloring is, markings, personality-everything! I will post a let you guys know when he/she arrives(i believe its a rescue)!

Lunging an hour before EVERY ride? Wow..

Lol yea it was a bit excessive! But if he wasn't pooped before you got on him, you had to hang on for dear life. He got better eventually, with extensive exercise and retraining, but sometimes at that age it's hard to reverse behaviors that they've developed long ago! Had he been younger, I think he would have been a great candidate for endurance races. He had hours of GO in him!

I am excited for you with this rescue horse! I wouldn't be able to concentrate for days in your shoes!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #18 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Lol yea it was a bit excessive! But if he wasn't pooped before you got on him, you had to hang on for dear life. He got better eventually, with extensive exercise and retraining, but sometimes at that age it's hard to reverse behaviors that they've developed long ago! Had he been younger, I think he would have been a great candidate for endurance races. He had hours of GO in him!

I am excited for you with this rescue horse! I wouldn't be able to concentrate for days in your shoes!
wow, a high matinence guy you got there! He sounds lovely though

I can't wait either!

Endurance..Sheesh.. You must have had one of those "infinite gas" horses lol

We have one of those at our stables..his name is Jeff and he is a Morgan :)
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #19 
Pogthefish

Lol, haven't been watching the post, but we have a guy like that ^_^ terrible for jumping, he barely changes his stride over them! He an go FOREVER too lol. I seem to be the only one that gets him because I like to go fast too. I can control him better than most peopel at the barn, and if I ride a horse other than him and go over a jump, I go into two-point at the wrong time because I go when HE would take off. LOVE that guy <3 He loves another barn worker more though. If she shows up at all during my lesson, it's trashed, I lost him for the day lmao.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #20 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Lol, haven't been watching the post, but we have a guy like that ^_^ terrible for jumping, he barely changes his stride over them! He an go FOREVER too lol. I seem to be the only one that gets him because I like to go fast too. I can control him better than most peopel at the barn, and if I ride a horse other than him and go over a jump, I go into two-point at the wrong time because I go when HE would take off. LOVE that guy <3 He loves another barn worker more though. If she shows up at all during my lesson, it's trashed, I lost him for the day lmao.
Hehe I love a fast, hot horse which is why I prefer TB's! I had to borrow this old fat paint for a show once, he was sooo slow and he did NOT want to go faster than a meandering walk! Boy was I glad when my own horse was back in commission!

Tags
clydesdale, horse, horseback riding, horses, quarter horse