Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #21 
Bettanewbie60

I managed to get the larger tetra whisper into my 5.5 with barely any vibration...sigh. I moved the bubble stone into Bella's 1g bowl, and she is loving the bubbles! I feel much better knowing that Buddy in his 5 and Buster in his are both filtered now...Thanks for the great, easy to understand post!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #22 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Oh okay, so if I have a five gallon tank(filtered or not) and I only feed like 4-5 high quality pellets once a day and have no shrimp or snails or anything....than it's more than likely that from the moment I get the fish, that weekly maitenance is perfectly sufficient. Am I correct?
Correct, however, small frequent meals are better for the Betta.

Bettanewbie60-
While the bubble stone will break the surface to assist with gas exchange and dissolved oxygen for the beneficial bacteria the same way a filter will....it lacks the surface area that the filter media provides for the beneficial bacteria to colonize on....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #23 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

Bettanewbie60-
While the bubble stone will break the surface to assist with gas exchange and dissolved oxygen for the beneficial bacteria the same way a filter will....it lacks the surface area that the filter media provides for the beneficial bacteria to colonize on....
Thanks OFL...filter now in the 5.5 and bubble stone is in Bella's 1g. Thanks for all your help!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #24 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:

Bettanewbie60-
Thank you! Sorry about my over- inquisitiveness....
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Thank you! Sorry about my over- inquisitiveness....
Inquisitiveness is a good quality and not something to be sorry about.....in my opinion.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #26 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Inquisitiveness is a good quality and not something to be sorry about.....in my opinion.....
Well thank you :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #27 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
PM - your test results are typical of a cycled tank. There's always going to be a little bit of ammonia, but as long as it's under .50ppm, I wouldn't worry.

Just continue with the water changes as normal. I personally would replace the media every 45 days instead of a month.

However, if you are concerned, keep an eye out on the ammonia. Write it down, or start a log for your test results. If the ammonia results goes past 2.0 or higher, then your filter may be overloaded, but don't panic. Do a 20-30% change every day till the numbers drop back down.
I'd have to disagree with that actually. While ammonia will always be present in a cycled tanks, it will be only in undetectable amounts and tests should always read 0ppm. Any ammonia that can be detected by a liquid test kit is harmful, and I would worry quite a bit if my fish were constantly in even .25 ppm of ammonia....2 ppm is a VERY high reading and not something that should ever occur in a cycled tank.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #28 
MSG

Kim, what kind of testing kit do you have? How often do you do ammonia test.

I'm going to bust out the rest of the kits and test them out.

See if the API gives me different results from the Doctor Wellfish Master Kit........

Eh... Nevermind, it's API as well.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #29 
Kim

I have the API liquid test kit. When cycling (I always do fishless), I test every day until about a week after the cycle has finished and I have added fish. Thereafter, I test any time I change anything in the tank or about once a month. Also, testing is always my first action if anyone gets sick or just looks "off." In all cases except when cycling, ammonia is always at 0 ppm.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #30 
Greylady

This is a fantastic thread for the layman! I read articles upon articles about cycling a tank until my eyes glazzed over. Most were very hard to comprehend and some even seemed to contradict themselves. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this all up OFL and thanks to the mods for stickying (is that a word? lol) it!!
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote