Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

He just a little bloated...

How long should I wait before I start to treay him. I only just noticed him being bloated when I came home tonight after work to feed him dinner. I've had him almost a week and he's been doing really well since I brought him home. He brightened up and has since made TWO bubble nests. Anyway, I was mainly wondering if I should start treating him for bloat what concentration of Epsom salt.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? between 78 and 81 (depending on how hot it gets during the day. :/
Does your tank have a filter? No, but there is a live plant in there
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets, and mini betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once or twice a day one crushed up pellet each time.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once every 2 or 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% and swish around the gravel to clean it.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just de-chlor with aloe vera in it.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His belly is pretty rounded and sticks out.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really that I have noticed, he's just a little bloated.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 30 minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only had him a week so probably not.
How old is your fish (approximately)? How ever old he was when I bought him?
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

Eventually i'm sure you'll want to get him a bigger sized tank, it's easier to maintain- you can probably find a cheap on on CraigsList if you look hard enough. 1 gallon tanks should be changed daily.

If you can post photos of how he looks right now that would be great, it helps alot.

If you want to, before you go about treating him you can just try to fast him for a few days. They don't need to eat daily (though i almost always feed my guys every day) so you don't have to worry about him starving or anything. They can go a week without actually getting too hungry and a month and still live!

If you feel like treating him then find yourself another 1 gallon container and add 1 tsp of epsome salt, (it's 1 tsp per gallon) and your water conditioner. Make sure you let all of the epsome salt dissolve before adding him into it. It's called an Epsome Salt BATH, so don't leave him in over night as it can cause him some problems. 20 minutes should do enough, and you can do this treatment I believe every day for 5 days (i think some would say 7 days) if needed.

Also if you would like you can go to PetSmart or PetCo and look for some frozen (freezedried if you can't find frozen) Daphnia or Brine Shrimp. I prefer Daphnia, the shrimp seem to make my guys a bit more bloated at first- Daphnia and Brine Shrimp both are natural laxatives for fishies.

I hope some of that helps you out!
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #3 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thank you very much! And yes, I do intend to get him a larger (at least 2.5) tank when I move. I will try fasting him and trying to change his water every day (though I know I won't remember and/or have the time EVERY day, I will most days). I will also see if they sell either of those because I have bought some frozen blood worms to feed him and my other male and my female just haven't used them yet.

Right now, I have a 5 gallon tank (with too high of Nitrates so I am continuing the cycle and testing it) which is intended for Sunshine, my pinapple HM M delta, a 2.5 gal with Mystic my multi color CT F, a 1 gallon with Flutter (the betta in question) who is a half sun delta with a mostly white body, red with a little blue fins with a white ring around the edge, a 1 gal holding Sunshine while his tank cycles, and then a .7 gall with my soon to be momma ghost shrimp (she has green eggs). I don't have the space for anymore, and once I do move I will be making a 10-20 gal sorority tank for Mystic and then the 2.5 can be for Flutter. Just gotta keep them fine for at least another month maybe a bit longer. :)

Thank you!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #4 
TheCheese909

You're welcome, I'm glad that helped!

I know what you mean about space- I have 8 Bettas, I had 9 but day before yesterday one of my HMs, Epilepsy EP for short, passed away and soon i'll have 7 as i am giving my little red HM, Harvey to a friend. Currently I have two 5 gallons, three 3 gallons, one 4 gallon and two 2.5 gallons.. I had EP in a 2.5 also.. It's alot of work sometimes but I love my boys.

Oh and in my experience in finding Daphnia, it's usually at PetSmart, I've yet to find it at PetCo, though I think they might have the freezedried stuff..

Good luck, i hope your fishie gets better!
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #5 
AltheaGlyndwr

Yeah, If I didn't live in a tiny 500 sp ft apartment... XD

But anyway, I probably can't get to petsmart until tomorrow cause I have to be to work in an hour and don't get off until it closes. But he'll get his stuffs :D

Sorry about your boy. Was he sick for long?