Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #1 
lelei

Question What to Stock Up On For Emergencies???

I am noticing that there are so many posts on Fishy sicknesses, and diseases, that I need to stockpile some suplies, and suggest for Emergencies that maybe we should all do it, why wait until an emergency and not be prepared..so I want to know for each disease what would be needed such as:

DROPSY_____________________________
Swim Bladder Disease_______________________
POP Eye______________________________
Velvet__________________________________
Ich___________________________________
Parasites___________________________________

Please add to this list..so I can get a better idea of how to treat such an illness..I have yet needed to deal with such illnesses..but if the time comes I want to be ready..I love my lil guys, and I don't want to waste time, to run out and get something that I should have already. So if anyone can help me get this list started by adding what to get for each disease..I would very much appreciate all the help that I can get

Also there are such house hold items that are also useful, such as garlic..what else can be added to this list?? We all should be prepared for any emergency..so I think this would help all of us..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

First off: Aquarium salt AND Epsom salt.

No cure for dropsy... sorry..

MY FISH FIRST AID CUPBOARD (yuh, they have their own cupboard hahaha)

tweezers: you never know when you need them.
Maracyn and Maracyn 2: one of the best combos out there, which fights numerous things!
Jungle parasite fizz tabs: works for internal and external
Jungle Ich meds: the liquid one. works well!
Furan and Furan 2: another good combo.
Copper safe: I dunno, but it is recommended. I never used it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #3 
lelei

Thanks Sena..I need to go shopping..:) if I cannot find in stores..i will order on line:)
Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Do you have a hospital tank/tanks & extra heater(s)?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Oh! And as a just-in-case... Kanaplex. The super medicine that is very strong... I have not had to use it since Shadow's passing. It helped him with his mystery disease, even though his immune system stopped after.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #6 
lelei

Teeny..yea..i have an extra kk..thays what I used for sapphire..and both salts ep/Aq..and I am getting 2 spare adjustable heaters before fall..gets very cold in New england..
Old 07-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #7 
tpocicat

OOPS! That reminds me, must get 2 spare heaters for this winter, had one, but one of my heaters stopped working, now have none.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #8 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Oh! And as a just-in-case... Kanaplex. The super medicine that is very strong... I have not had to use it since Shadow's passing. It helped him with his mystery disease, even though his immune system stopped after.
I second kanaplex (I believe kanamyacin is the same, just kanaplex is a brand name).

It is a potent medication, and often hard to get unless ordered online. However it does work well on certain fast moving, very fatal diseases. I think of it as a life saver.

As was mentioned earlier, aquarium salt and epsom salt (plain, dye free, unscented). A quarantine tank (depending on the size of his current living conditions may not be necessary).

While not necessary... I like keeping an eyedropper (great for feeding frozen food or measuring out liquid medicines and even prime!), a turkey baster (if you have a bare bottom tank you can just suck up the poo daily!) and don't fall for the "betta" version, I get mine at the dollar store. A dedicated teaspoon for measuring salts for treatment. I like to also keep a pair of jugs for letting water age to room temp, also for premixing treatment. Again dollarstore buys.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #9 
MSG

I don't recommend stocking up on the medicated items. Personally I would make a list & next time there's a 20% sale, then purchase them.

Medications are only necessary if you overfeed or neglect the fish too long, by not doing the proper water changes.

BTW, what do you other members recommend for heaters? Wattage recommendations would also be helpful.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #10 
lelei

Omg, you guys are awwsum, I just ordered some IAL from e-bay, and the Maracyn, and Furan..I am going to get the eye-dropper and turkey baster soon, Thanks so much for helping me out with this..Kanaplex will be next:)