Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #11 
MSG

My pearl halfmoon ate all my shrimp & most of my guppies.

Now I keep him in a solo tank. He'll go back into the guppy tank when their population increases. I know for sure mr betta's eaten at least 20 guppy fry and 30 cherry red shrimp.

My ENTIRE cherry shrimp population has been wiped out now.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #12 
emaleeluna

Thanks so much. I think I'll stick with the betta being alone. I just couldn't watch another one of those little shrimp being eaten. The first thing I thought when I saw him was why won't Bob eat him. He eats brine fish chunks and this is a shrimp! I will get the aq salt and I will see if that helps. I have to suspect that the tetras nipped him and now he has fin rot as it looks worse today. He's still eating, but only blood worms, I'll try some pellets. What I can't figure out is he's acting differently, slow vs, fast, hiding a lot, but every morning I wake up and there bubblenests everywhere. I mean everywhere! Wish me luck, if I lose him, I don't know that I'd have the heart to try again as I love this little viscious shrimp murderer! hahha
Thanks again
emaleeluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #13 
twissfish

Aren't there different variations of RCS called crystal red shrimp and cyrstal black shrimp? Those are really nice but my lfs sells them for over 5 dollars (which I'm not willing to spend on a single shrimp.) I wish I could keep shrimp but my bettas won't sleep until they've hunted them all. haha I'll just stick with ghosties.
twissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #14 
Silverfang

RCS (red cherry shrimp) are quite different from CRS (crystal red shrimp). Cherries are cheaper and usually widely available compared to crystals.

The two are actually two different species. While cherries, snowballs and rili shrimp are all just different colour variations of the same species, (Neocaridina heteropoda var. red or cherry shrimp). And crystals are (Caridina cf. cantonensis sp. "Crystal Red").

Unfortunately I've found that the only shrimp that survived with either my females or my boys were ghost shrimp. They had the speed and jumping skills to taunt the girls (and occasionally steal food at supper time which was so funny!).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #15 
twissfish

Oops, never mind. I'm not too good with shrimp. I didn't remember what the RCS variations were called. All I remembered was the name crystal red and their price.

I've only ever kept ghost shrimp and they all eventually got eaten by my boys. They only lasted a couple months.
twissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #16 
MSG

I've seen cherry shrimp go for as little as $0.50 each. But there's a good chance these would be considered "CULL" grade shrimp. Regardless, I would rather have a cull grade CRS than a ghost shrimp due to the CRS' reproduction capabilities.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #17 
MSG

Like I said, my pearl HM betta ate most of mine. Same with the guppies. I had the smaller guppy fry in with the CRS & the guppy fry probably stressed them out.

Eventually I'll start up a shrimp ONLY tank. The shrimp ALWAYS did a great job for cleaning algae off my dirty aquarium decorations before they were wiped out.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #18 
lilyrazen

I have NEVER seen RCS in a store, or Crystal Reds. I just see ghosts and bamboo (which I've never had). If I find some RCS I'll probably buy them because you guys make them sound really great.

My ghosties are gone (thanks, Vilkas) now anyway!
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #19 
MSG

The only way you'll get the RCS for .50 or less is through an established RCS tank.

There's 1000's of people in CA that have established RCS. Nowadays cherry shrimp are the most common out there.

If you do happen to come across them in a petstore, you'll probably pay at least $2-$5 for one.

Start with the most common ones if you're new to them. They require differ a fish free tank, and a cycled filtration system, otherwise they'll get wiped out like mine.

Ammonia & copper will kill shrimp QUICK. Also massive water changes, will kill them as well.

Baby cherry shrimp are TINY. You won't see them, till they're a couple weeks old, but the the fish usually get to them first.

The shrimp were the best at removing algae off decorations. Beats scrubbing decorations in the bathtub for an hour and rinsing that good algae that the shrimp would LOVE to eat down the drain.