Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #11 
Fasht

if its getting some sunlight then your light might be sufficient enough. Check mine out xD http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107911
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #12 
JBosley

I have LED + moderate sunlight haha!

But I will be trying to get a cord for the light that came with the tank, it's a larger LED
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #13 
JBosley

Is it safe to add my fish? Or should I wait a few days, re-test and then add him...??
Old 07-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #14 
Silverfang

That light is enough for maybe anubis... you need something in the 6500k range. I had a 10 light but finally found one in the 6500k range. I'm gonna have to clip back my hygro already, it's growing out of the water and almost out of the tank.

LCD lights are iffy, however I have had moderate growth with this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11000158
The cabomba is alive and healthy looking, but it isn't shooting up like the ones under the true 6500k lights. Depending on the size of the tank, you can get cheap fluorescent light fixtures at a hardware store like home depot. I've seen several double strip fixtures. I believe OFL uses this kind suspended over her large NPTs. The only drawback is they are in the larger size (48").

I think you can find smaller "daylight" lamps at like walmart and other stores. The thing is these would be in the lighting section.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #15 
LyzzaRyzz

Nice! I agree with more lighting, and also, maybe you should turn the pot on its side..bettas love to hide in them, but my bettas favorite spot [when he had a pot] was to drape himself along the edge...many a time i though he was dead! then he perked up, and went swimming along..just a cat nap!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #16 
JBosley

Thanks guys! I will look into getting another light. Keep in mind this tank was ONLY planted yesterday

Haha the pot is on it's side now! I had it holding some substrate from my 15 gallon, cycled tank, to help cycle this one

Maize, my fish, is loving it! He seems a lot more active and loves hiding in the plants.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #17 
Aus

I have my 3.5 g under a similar LED light. The 'javas' (moss & fern), anubias and cryptocorynes are in wonderful health - I do find the stem plants do better floating or directly under the brightest bit of light. Massive growth would actually not be great in my little tank. The fish would have nowhere to swim! So I'm happy with slow growth, as long as the plants are healthy.

It should be okay to add your fish. Treat it as an uncycled tank, however (because.. it is..) and do water changes accordingly for that size. Just don't do 100% changes nor gravel vac hard. When my tank was new, I found 2 -3 x 50% changes per week did the job, and six months later I do 2 x 30% pw, though I could probably get away with less (but don't want to risk it..).

Each tank is different though - test regularly, watch ammonia and nitrites, change wc schedule accordingly. :)

Last edited by Aus; 07-20-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

You can always get a desk lamp and fot it with a 23w cfl at 6500k, that will definitely be enough :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #19 
JBosley

Thanks guys!

I got the API Master Test Kit, and tested the water before I added Maize. Everything was great I was shocked. I will do weekly testing for the first few months, make sure everything is stable.