Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #11 
CharStarr

That's so great that you rescued him and stood up for the other fish at Wal Mart! Congratulations on your new betta! Have you named him yet?
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #12 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Aww that's wonderful! I'm so glad you rescued him

Here's the new baby, in that horrid cup, on my dashboard outside the store:

Here's his new house (I haven't put anything in it for him yet, but I will tonight):

On another note - this tank has a tube with an air stone in the middle. Any thoughts on that? I feel like it's blowing him all over when it's on and he can't get to top to breathe Should I just take it out?

And, since we're talking air stones - I bought one today for the 10 gallon tank, and now I'm worried about putting it in there. I didn't realize they cause so much movement in the water. Does anybody use air stones?
He looks just like "Buddy" who I also got at Walmart! So glad you went and rescued him..awesome. Oh, and I got an adjuster for my filter and air stone...it's just a plastic thing with places to attach the hose, and a valve...it wasn't expensive, and you can get them with two or four outlets...I'm so glad I got it. It makes it really easy to decide air flow!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #13 
Bethydan

I work at my local Walmart and I'm not usually a proponent of buying Wally World fish, but when I saw my newest little dude (in my avatar) I melted. He was supposed to be a marble, but his color was all off and he was days away from fishy nirvana. I got him home and found him saturated with ich parasites. After a week of warm clean water and medications he was a beautiful little pain in the butt.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #14 
toad

Thanks, guys! :D I am getting really attached to this little dude; he doesn't have a name yet... I'm stuck on a few options lol. He's starting to open up his fins a little bit, which I am thrilled to bits about, but I am also seeing just how torn up he is.

I went back to Walmart - yes, again - to return the air stone I bought (I still have the one I took out of the little guy's tank, and I'm going to use that when I fill my 20 gallon I think). I had to go check on the Bettas since I was there (I couldn't just walk past them) and they were still filthy ='[ I complained for the 3rd or 4th time, and the lady that I complained to actually got on the phone with the manager about it.

Bettanewbie, that sounds awesome! I am going to look for one of those to use on the air stone I still have :)

Bethydan, your little baby is amazing looking!

Last edited by toad; 07-20-2012 at 09:02 PM.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #15 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Yeah :/ Too bad, because the bubbles are so pretty! But the fish I bought the airstone for hates any sort of movement in his water; he's got very big floofy fins and gets blown all over the place. So, back to Walmart I go...

So, while I was in line at Walmart, the guy behind me told me how he used to have a betta - "you know, one of those ones in the vase and they eat the roots of the plant? He lasted quite a while". He lasted quite a while? Sounds like a kitchen sponge, not a pet! I was about ready to cry. And all I could say was... "oh yeah?" and try to smile, since he was holding half my merchandise for me

Grrrrr I don't know what I would have done if I heard somebody say that. Makes me sad know the mentality that some people have on the hardy Betta fish. On a lighter note your new guy is beautiful hopefully you can get some pics up soon. good luck :)
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote