Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 
Sapphoira

Used tanks?

I was debating getting a new tank for some of my fish, and was debating about looking for cheaper ones on craigslist... until one of my experienced aquarium keeper friends highly discouraged that because you never know what might have been kept in the tank at some point, and some things could kill even with tiny amounts of residue. Is this sound advice, or is there anything in particular that you should watch out for when considering a used tank?
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #2 
toad

If you can reseal a tank that was used to house a small animal and put fish in it, I'm sure you could adequately clean a tank used to house other fish. It might be worth resealing, since you don't know what the silicone may have absorbed...
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #3 
Firefly85

I think that it is really up to you, but IMO used tanks can be a great deal.
I have never had a problem other than leaks, ans you can always reseal a tank. every used tank i have ever had gets 2 thorough cleanings, hot with vinegar soak,scrub, rinse, and i usually leave them in outside in the sun for a day. On rare occasions i have used bleach, it kills just about everything, but has to have several rinses and a good sunning.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #4 
Sapphoira

Awesome thanks for the advice guys ;)
Old 07-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #5 
Kenny G

Your best bet if you buy a used tank is to clean and sterilize it with hot water, aq salt and distilled vinegar. Distilled vinegar is non toxic to fish.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #6 
BettaAngel13

used tanks or new tanks

I have no problem with using a old or used tank. My 10 gallon guppy tank is a used tank but I haqve never had any problems with it and the guppies love their setup.Plus my two lovely bettas are kept in used tanks.SharkBait is kept in a 5 gallon tank that my uncle had,and Buddha is kept in a 1 gallon tank I already had used for my old bettas Daytona who is now resting in heaven.

RIP DAYTONA
BettaAngel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #7 
MSG

What size tank were you considering?

Petco had the $1/gallon tank sale but it ends today. I tried to get a raincheck for the 55 gallon, but was informed it was not included in the sale from the beginning. So I'm a little annoyed.

If that is truly the case, I'm going to hunt for a 75 gallon.

Everyone had good suggestions about what to look for and the method of treating used tanks.

With CL, ask for pictures, but if that person is selling it very cheap, there's a good chance you won't have time to email back & forth.

Be wary of any tank that has strange odors or has been stored outside.

Try to look for the tag on the bottom that tells you when it was manufactured.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #8 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Petco had the $1/gallon tank sale but it ends today. I tried to get a raincheck for the 55 gallon, but was informed it was not included in the sale from the beginning. So I'm a little annoyed.

If that is truly the case, I'm going to hunt for a 75 gallon.

Everyone had good suggestions about what to look for and the method of treating used tanks.

With CL, ask for pictures, but if that person is selling it very cheap, there's a good chance you won't have time to email back & forth.

Be wary of any tank that has strange odors or has been stored outside.

Try to look for the tag on the bottom that tells you when it was manufactured.

OMG thank you for reminding me of this!! I managed to get the last ten gallon from my nearest petco today! I avoided the temptation to get any more bettas.. though they did have some fantastic looking king Plakats!! I was surprised their fish looked so good, since the petco is struggling with petsmart being so much better and they are kind of a small crappy petco.