Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #1 
LugiaChan

Low clean-up-after plants + how would I divide tank from the bottom ONLY (substrate)

Hi all... So, I received Philippine Fern from ebay, they ended up having brown spots that wont go away. I put the tank near the window and have the light on most the time, they started looking better but my whole tank turned into a green coating on every object. Ugh... Even after a while lots of the plant turned into that dark green color too, as if its molding on top of it with green algae stuff. This is my first time with plants. I decided to ditch that idea and grabbed the fern out of the tank and put it in a vase. It's for grabs if anyone wants it >_>

There's plant matter all over the tank- root looking things. After using Almond Leaves for quite some time as well, that plant matter got everywhere too and some pieces just constantly develop icky stuff on top. My tank is a mess ._.; Or I just dont know how to take care of plants, I always go for low light plants and things! My moss balls don't seem to cause a problem, but i'm not sure. I left them in there.

Anyways.... Are all plants this messy? Is DRIFTWOOD messy too? Am I doing something wrong :/
Would types of grasses cause any problems and are there any in particular that do? I'm really bothered about cleaning up after the plants, i'm much more into caring for my betta fish and have fun doing so- I just get angry at plants but want my tank to be cleaned nicely so I added them in... Lol!!!! Not a good idea so far... :(

#2) Anyways, I had a brilliant wonder theme idea going on in my head. I was thinking about dividing my tank into either: 4, 3, or 2. But I didn't like the fact my fish had less room to swim if it meant getting another betta. So, my idea is to split only the gravel substrate bottoms and have a theme tank my fish can swim into all of the themes!

How would I go about this? I don't trust that getting the normal divider will work well because i'd have to saw or give a rough edge to the plastic pieces which wont look well and may harm my fish. Also the net may not support itself too well, i'm not sure. What types of plastic or materials will work for this idea :)

My tank is a 10 gallon tank.
THANKS EVERYONE!

Last edited by LugiaChan; 07-21-2012 at 03:26 AM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #2 
MSG

Should have rinsed off & then quarantined the tank. Sounds like you bought it from a guy who had a blue green algae problem.

Just make your own divider. Someone will post the link to that.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #3 
Aus

Quote:
So, I received Philippine Fern from ebay, they ended up having brown spots that wont go away.
Most ferns have brown spots when they are ready to reproduce. Some don't take kindly to change and the leaves deteriorate until they settle and new leaves sprout for the new conditions.

Quote:
I put the tank near the window and have the light on most the time, they started looking better but my whole tank turned into a green coating on every object.
^ That's why your tank exploded with algae. Too much light.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #4 
megaredize

as Aus said WAY too much light. never put a tank near a window plus on top of being near a window you said the light is on a lot. When there is too many nutrients in the water algae grows. You want a balance of nutrients so that there's enough for the plants too grow but not too much so algae doesn't go nuts. more plants can help this. Water changes can get the excess nutrients out. So you might want to do a large water change.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #5 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Should have rinsed off & then quarantined the tank. Sounds like you bought it from a guy who had a blue green algae problem.

Just make your own divider. Someone will post the link to that.
Oh thanks! Would I scrub the entire tank out and wash it out and quarantine the plants to get rid of the blue-green algae? It's just really annoying to have. Let me know if there are any ways of getting rid of it for good :) i'll learn for next time!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #6 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaredize View Post
as Aus said WAY too much light. never put a tank near a window plus on top of being near a window you said the light is on a lot. When there is too many nutrients in the water algae grows. You want a balance of nutrients so that there's enough for the plants too grow but not too much so algae doesn't go nuts. more plants can help this. Water changes can get the excess nutrients out. So you might want to do a large water change.
That's what I was thinking, I wasn't sure because the plant keeps looking like its dieing and looked worse with the lights not on so often. Anyways--- besides this... If I have more plants that will help out as stated? So for a weekly water change to be clear on what you mean by that do you mean cleaning more than 50% out (I typically take out 50% weekly for change) please let me know so I can take better care of my tank :)

and thank you so much ^_^!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #7 
MSG

Red face Before you bring aquatic plants home.....

You must know your water's parameters. The chemical composition of it.

The PH level
  • General hardness
  • Ammonia
  • Nitrite
  • Nitrate

If they start to fall apart, it could be due to the ph of the water from your tank.

It always takes a little while for the new plant to establish itself.

If the water is the opposite composition of where it was housed before, it may turn brown and wither away. I've seen that happen to all my wisteria.

Also it needs enough nutrients & light to live.

I'm going to start introducing plants again. So I'm going to have to relearn all this stuff myself.

But I may consider that Philippine java fern plant. I can see why you ordered it. It looks NICE when it's healthy.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #8 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
You must know your water's parameters. The chemical composition of it.

The PH level
  • General hardness
  • Ammonia
  • Nitrite
  • Nitrate

If they start to fall apart, it could be due to the ph of the water from your tank.

It always takes a little while for the new plant to establish itself.

If the water is the opposite composition of where it was housed before, it may turn brown and wither away. I've seen that happen to all my wisteria.

Also it needs enough nutrients & light to live.

I'm going to start introducing plants again. So I'm going to have to relearn all this stuff myself.

But I may consider that Philippine java fern plant. I can see why you ordered it. It looks NICE when it's healthy.
:O Such a science! At least I really do like science! <3
So much to learn... And alright! I ordered it before looking into plants I started to really like, without owning any of them yet. It's the first plant I have gotten and there's quite a few leaves remaining. I wonder if someone would like to do a plant trade or fish accessory/decor/anything kind of thing trade, if not i'm fine with selling for less than I paid for them *shrug* I think $5 from ebay.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #9 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
aaah . . all this is why I only have anubias tied to driftwood at the moment. I can't handle anything else . .. trying to learn why my tanks have driftwood matter, plant matter, etc. I really admire people who can maintain a beautiful planted tank though!
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #10 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
aaah . . all this is why I only have anubias tied to driftwood at the moment. I can't handle anything else . .. trying to learn why my tanks have driftwood matter, plant matter, etc. I really admire people who can maintain a beautiful planted tank though!
I feel the same way! I can't really handle all the plant matter and everything, I didn't really hear of these types of things happening in planted tanks until I tried it. Same story, hoping for an honest response :) They are so pretty in photos!!