Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 
JustARegularFan

Exclamation Infected wound?

I'm in need of some help. My fish has what looks like an abrasion on his side, and since I discovered it, it started looking cottony. I cleaned his tank upon noticing it, but it looks infected regardless. I started treating him with tetracycline, but the wound looks like it has gotten bigger, and what's worse is that he's become a bit lethargic. Any advice on how to treat it?

Last edited by JustARegularFan; 07-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
JustARegularFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #2 
TheCheese909

Hi, if you posted a photo it's showing as a broken file, can you try again?

I don't have experience with the Tetracycline but I know adding Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 can help out, especially with the cotton like patches. Adding API Stress Coat+ (which is a water conditioner + a stress reliever) can also help to make him feel better.

What size tank do you have him in right now? Is he in a QT? If you can keep him i a 1 gallon QT with a soft, silk plant of some sort so he doesn't hurt himself and adding the stress coat should keep him calm. I would do water changes every day for the first few days to keep the water clean, then after do them once a week while medicating.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #3 
Aus

Kanaplex. Or Furan-2.

Both of those are effective against the bacteria causing the ulcerated skin, as well as any secondary infections.

Get on it quick, too. Open wounds need very quick treatment. Keep him in the Aq salt until you get the medication and turn the heat down to around 74. Not too cold and it'll slow the disease a bit.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #4 
JustARegularFan

Thanks so much for the help! The little guy is holding his own right now, and I noticed he's a bit more active. I'll get right on the tank cleanings and I'm getting Maracyn 1 and 2 tomorrow. I'll see if they have any anything else. I can't get the picture to show up, though, I'm afraid.
JustARegularFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infection, wound