Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #1 
kfryman

Algae Outbreak

I'm new to this site but I am on the sister sight for bettas. The tank i have the problem with is a 15 gallon tank, using dirt and gravel. I switched to T5HO 48 watt light (one light is 6500 and the other is 5000k) a couple months ago. Plants range from swords (getting rid of them though), rotala, ludwigia, wisteria, hygro corymbosa, dwarf sag, frogbit, water lettuce, and some duckweed.

All my parameters for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are zero (Will test if anything changed). My water is a bit soft but high pH, not sure on the kH though.

I recently switched to the siesta method as I don't inject CO2, but do dose Excel. That is where the algae outbreak came from is my guess. The schedule is 7-12 on, then off till 4 turned off at 8. It is done by a timer btw.

Should I go back to a normal schedule or let the plants adjust to the siesta? I could also go back and do DIY co2 as well.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind of algae, how many plants..can you post a pic, what kind of dirt and how deep, how far are the lights from the water and is it open top or do you have a partition between the lights and water, how long has it been setup and how many trims have you had to make on the stem plants, bioload, water changes, filter....Photoperiod siesta method with the light on for a total of 9 hours and off for 4 hours mid afternoon.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #3 
kfryman

I will post a picture in a bit, lights are off, as of now. I have done a lot of clippings not sure how many exactly as the tank has been setup since January, but new lights in about April. The dirt is Miracle Grow Organic, 1 inch layer with about 1/2 of gravel in front and about 1 and a half inches in the back with gravel. All plants are growing fine especially the rotala. I would say 60% or more is covered with fast growing stem plants, I need to redo it as i had it setup to grow plants.

5 bettas, 3 zebra nerite and 1 ghost shrimp as some died from age a bit ago. Filter is an Ehiem Ecco rated for a 35 gallon to circulate water, I plan on getting a different filter with a powerhead when I have more money.

I didn't really do a transition to the siesta since I couldn't find information on that.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Do you know what kind of algae.....
Old 07-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #5 
kfryman

Dang it lol, I guess I keep forgwting to list it. It is hair algae and some common green algae. I was getting help from Byron on TFK as well. I now switched from the siesta to 8 hours a day since one T5 is about 1.5x as strong as a T8. He also told me that I should get a complete supplement such as Flourish so the plants have the 17 nutrients they need.

Any additional help OFL will be thanked if you want.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Since you have dirt I wouldn't recommend any ferts at this point or you might end up with an algae farm or green water...

With hair algae-often it is due to the light being too close to the water or too high of watts. Sometime raising the lights up can help.

I like to increase my photoperiod when I start to have algae problems-the reason being is so that I will get better plant growth to out compete the algae. Plant are normally on 12h/day PP......1h dim before and after as the sun rise and sun set and 10h/day intense or full sun.

When the PP is decreased too much it can trick the plants into thinking it a season change and either-slow growth, go dormant, die or flower to finish their life cycle....With soil based tanks its all about balance.....when you have enough stem plants in active growth to use both light and nutrient before the algae....With that said....some algae is normal, expected and a sign of a healthy system and since this is a closed system you have to manually remove it on a regular basis....just part of the care/up-keep on a closed system.....you can keep it controlled to a degree with balance.....
Old 07-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #7 
BettaAngel13

What I would use but I don't know what it would do for your tank. I would buy Tetra Algae control I have used for my betta and my goldfish
BettaAngel13 is offline   Reply With Quote