Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #1 
teeneythebetta

Ammonia in my tap water all of a sudden?

I started to cycle my tank fish-less... Talked to OFL and she recommended I do fish-in instead because I would have a low bio load. I did some water changes to bring down the ammonia... It wouldn't go lower than about .75 ppm... I did literally 5 big water changes, kept testing... STILL ammonia. Then I tested my tap water.. .75 ammonia! It use to be at 0 ammonia... This is new!

I'm not sure how to go about this... I know there are water conditioners for neutralizing ammonia, but wouldn't that be bad while cycling??

Why should I do?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

apparently chloramine is chlorine + ammonia... are you using a water conditioner when doing WCs? thats whats breaking the bonds...
or maybe ur tap water is just ammonia infested :/ i think bonded ammonia can still be used by the bio filter. prime or stress coat bonds ammonia...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Yea I use the tetra betta safe water conditioner... So if I get prime, it won't have ammonia in the water any more?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Yea I use the tetra betta safe water conditioner... So if I get prime, it won't have ammonia in the water any more?
No, Prime doesn't do that.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

It bonds the ammoniafor a certain amount of time :/ I'm thinking that you probably need to invest in some duckweeds, hardy plants etc and have your betta in a smaller tank until yours cycles.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #6 
Aahnay

Is your tap water from your well? If so you need to clean it. Usually just dumping couple gallons of chlorine down the well does it, then letting it run for a while. But google it, its been a long time since i had a well.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahnay View Post
Is your tap water from your well? If so you need to clean it. Usually just dumping couple gallons of chlorine down the well does it, then letting it run for a while. But google it, its been a long time since i had a well.
Nope, not from a well
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

The dechlorinators and products that neutralize ammonia change it to ammonium that will not harm the livestock but the beneficial bacteria and live plants can still use it, however, you may still test positive for ammonia since the test products can't tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium....

You might want to go to your city water web-site and see what is going on if the ammonia in the source water is new....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #9 
jennesque

What's your tank's ph?
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The dechlorinators and products that neutralize ammonia change it to ammonium that will not harm the livestock but the beneficial bacteria and live plants can still use it, however, you may still test positive for ammonia since the test products can't tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium....

You might want to go to your city water web-site and see what is going on if the ammonia in the source water is new....
Thanks. I don't see anything on my city's website.. Is there a specific product youd recommend? Or would prime be the best to get?