Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

UV lights are only good for problems with the water in the water column...like green water....

I don't remember how much I dosed when I used H2O2...that was a really long time ago...but it didn't work well and so I had to look for another method of control.

I have never had any of my Betta get tangled in the java moss-but I do have problems with my long fin plecos getting tangled and needing to be saved in the java moss and I have had problems with them getting tangled in the cotton thread a couple of times too.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

I've just began to setup my granparents tanks.... were happily given some MTS by the LFS.

I realized that I didnt have enough plants after I finished planting. I plan to do a 100% WC tomorrow and 50% everyday for the following week oO. I have no idea whether seedling mix will work, but it was the closest thing to organic potting mix that I could find. Also got a nice filter for $15... The BGA was practically gone when I moved he infected plants in. With the added current... I don't think I will see BGA for quite a while...While I'm writing this... I'm thinking that maybe I should have done this emmersed... gah. Maybe... I should move one of our water liles into the new tank oO.

Still nee to move in some Val, Moss, Water wisteria, anubias, java ferns and rotala in tomorrow.

This was the same patch of treated BGA this after noon as compared to yesterday night.

I'm feeling so much respet for OFL and how she managed to have enough spare plants to do a 55 NPT. *Jealous*

Last edited by ao; 07-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
UVs are great for killing algae. Though usually they are used for ponds. People also use UV to treat fish diseases, never heard of them doing it on this forum but on another one they talk about it a lot..
I tried H2O2 and it killed my hornwort. But they are babies and shed their needles at every little thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did read that H2O2 kills Hornwort just as well as it kills algae and BGA :/ I'll keep this thread updated on how the plants are faring....

Last edited by ao; 07-21-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

Did more planting today. not sure if I lost the bga whilst juggling the plabts around or theH2O2 really did it oO

Water got cloudy with a little too much moving around.

Then did a 90% WC

Going to get more plants tomorrow. Didn't manage to move th Java fern in today.

Last edited by ao; 07-22-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

It's funny. After dying, the rest of my hornwort is growing so beautiful, the needles look different and I love it.
I like the driftwood! Sorry if I missed it, is this a betta tank?
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

Thanks :D I picked up the wood whilst hiking about two weeks ago. I boiled it for a while... I hope it doesn't kill anything in the tank! The tank's my grandma's 10g. I'm hoping to get 4 smaller in a community tank with Toothbrush (Who is patiently waiting in the 1 gal)

I wi have to allow the plants to take root and get the water tested before I dare put anything in. :/